I am so sick of hearing the word "soon."

by TooBad TooSad 25 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• TooBad TooSad
    TooBad TooSad

The use of the word "soon" at the KH is used so much by JW's

that it has almost turned into a "soon" doctrine.

I counted the word soon 15 times at the meeting yesterday during the

public talk and WT. They can't stop using the word soon. Their whole

life is built around the word soon. Soon there will be not war or food

shortages. Soon we will grow young not old. Soon God will act and

destroy the wicked. Soon we will be in Paradise. Soon we will not have

to worry about sickness or disease. Soon God will cleanse the earth.

How soon is soon? If I tell my wife that I am going to buy her a new

diamond ring soon, would she be happy if I waited 6 months, a year,

or 35 years? If I tell my little grandson that I will take him to the zoo soon

does he think in terms of days, months, or years? If your doctor tells you

that you need to make another appointment to see him soon, do you wait

a week, month, or several years?

If the JW's did not talk about the end being soon they would have nothing

else to talk about. The talk two Sundays ago was about the need of staying

clean and the need to wash our hands after using the toilet and keeping our

clothes clean. Oh God, I wish that all of this would end soon.

TooBad TooSad

• blondie
    blondie

Of course there is

VERY SOON

VERY SOON NOW

RAPIDLY APPROACHING

ON THE THRESHOLD

• SuspiciousMinds
    SuspiciousMinds

You're absolutely right! "Soon" has got to be the most over used non-theocratic word in JWS literature and meetings. This fun new exercise gives me something to look forward to next meeting. And people will think I'm taking notes - they'll be shocked! I just attended our SAD, I wish I had this idea then!

SM

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

I remember once it said in a magazine or a KM or somewhere that the end must be "very near" now. A sister I knew was all excited because she insisted the society had never said "very near" before, they had always just said it was "near". This must mean it was going to come like next week! That was about 10 years ago now.

As someone else has pointed out on here, the Watchtower Society could take a lesson from Grover on the difference between near and far.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hf-HBMq9ggg

• jookbeard
    jookbeard

That's so true, would'nt be nice if the WTS was soon to implode

• truthsetsonefree
    truthsetsonefree

Yup, they are soon to be the "soon" cult! They can't make dates anymore without looking stupid. So this is all they have left. You'd think dubs would wake up and see how ridiculous that soon business is. At least from your post it's obvious that you are.

Isaac

• garybuss
    garybuss

I love the "soons" and the "nears" and the "generations". When a Witness asks me when I'll be to a meeting, I'll say "soon, before this generation passes away!". And then I'll look at their 1984 Olds and say:"The end is near!". Hahahaha

If I can't flip a Witness like a buttermilk pancake on a hot griddle, I'll eat 10 bound volumes from grandma's attic.

• happpyexjw
    happpyexjw

I remember being heartbroken when an older sister said my fiance and I would never marry -- the new system would be here before that happened. That was in 1965. When my first daughter was born I believed she would never start school -- that was in 1967. None of us went to college, saved for retirement or planned for the future in general because this system was ending soon. Many of those who were waiting for "soon" have long since died penniless and after many years of doing without while waiting for soon. Sad...

• cawshun
    cawshun

TooBad TooSad, Thanks for pointing this out the way you did. We all have heard the "soon" word but when put in the contex you just used, one can see how rediciulous they are.

I guess this could be another "loaded word".

• dismayed
    dismayed

How about "close" as in close to the end. I threw it out there at a witless gathering a few weeks ago that it was interesting that the number of anointed was increasing drastically. I was met by the response that "Because we are so close to the end, some Dubs are confused and think they are anointed"

Covering all the bases once again...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit