NOAH's Greatgrandpa Methuselah - Did He Drown or What?

by unclebruce 18 Replies latest jw friends

• unclebruce
    unclebruce

According to my book of holy fables (Gen 5:27), Noah's greatgrandpa Methuselah died aged 969 years, in the exact same year Noah floated away to a damp new world in a box full of tame animals. But the Bible does not say that he was among those who died in the flood.

According to bible mathmatics, Adam was alive when Methuselah was born making Methuselah the only human link between Adam and Noah.

So what happened to poor old Methuselah? Did Jehovah, out of respect, wait till the old boy carked it before having it piss down on the rest of humanity? Did he die with a lung full of water or float around awhile in his gopher wood coffin trailing in Noah's Wake?

• cameo-d
    cameo-d

Could he have died on the boat?

Could he have been the first burial at sea?

Did Noah invent fishing...using his poor relative as chum?

• zagor
    zagor

He was too old to procreate, Noah only took animals that can get it up

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

I don't know the answer to your question.

But I have been reading a lot about mans origins and past.

About 10 books in the bast 4 months.

Just about all ancient peoples have a flood story.

And the people in the bible lands had several stories that appeared before the bible recording

of the flood.

The Summerian text, the first civilization indicate that the gods of the bible were men

like beings from nibiru, planet x.

I think some clataclysm happened before history began in Sumeria.

And I think the devil is in the details.

The Devil may even be the good guy in the story of mans history.

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

Out of redactional necessity, to have the Flood fit in the priestly genealogies (which go on from Shem to Abraham, 11:10ff), the antediluvian Patriarchs had to die before the Flood. The seam is rather obvious in 5:32: while (in the MT) previous patriarchs "beget" between 65 and 187, Noah "begets" his three sons (at once?) at the age of 500! This allows for all previous patriarchs to die peacefully before the Flood (Methushelah being the limit case) and avoids the inconvenient of Noah having grandsons and great-grandsons on the cruise...

• PrimateDave
    PrimateDave

According to divine chronology (tm), old man Methuselah was alive during the year long flood. Old sailors never die, they just smell that way.

It might explain who ate that dove Noah sent out the last time, the one that didn't come back.

Dave

• unclebruce
    unclebruce

I remember many variants of dub reasoning on this. One being that Jehovah had set a 1,000 year limit on the lifesppan of post Edenic people. So what would be the point of Methuselah living through the flood only to die within 30 years of landing on Mt Ararat (I'd have thought the old boy woulda got a kick out of the ride myself).

OK so when did the old fellow find out his ticket was cancelled? When he was in his early 800's or at the last decade?

jaguarbass wrote:

I don't know the answer to your question.

But I have been reading a lot about mans origins and past.

About 10 books in the bast 4 months.

Just about all ancient peoples have a flood story.

And the people in the bible lands had several stories that appeared before the bible recording

of the flood.

The Summerian text, the first civilization indicate that the gods of the bible were men

like beings from nibiru, planet x.

I think some clataclysm happened before history began in Sumeria.

And I think the devil is in the details.

The Devil may even be the good guy in the story of mans history.

Hi jaguarbass,

I wouldn't fret about answers. The questions are usually more interesting and enlightening in my opinion.

What heracy! lol. Well, I supose the Devil told Eve the truth did he not?

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

There is also variation between the three major Pentateuchal textual traditions. In the MT, Methuselah dies in 1656 A.M. and the Flood occurs in 1656 A.M. The Samaritan Pentateuch has a lower date of the Flood at 1307 A.M. (cf. the second-century BC book Jubilees, which places the Flood at 1308 A.M.), as it makes Jared, Methusaleh, and Lamech much younger when they had their firstborn sons. What is interesting here is that this version makes all three men die in 1307 A.M., the same year as the Flood. The ages of these patriarchs (i.e. at the time of the birth of their first son) was thus carefully modified to make Jared, Methuselah, and Lamech die together at the Flood. The LXX has no such concern; it places the Flood in 2242 A.M. but Methuselah lives on to the year 2256 A.M. -- 14 years later! Not surprisingly, a number of editions of the LXX assimilate themselves to the MT and make Methusaleh die with the Flood.

• Kinjiro
    Kinjiro

Isn't he still alive? Didn't just run for president and lost?

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Kinjiro beat me to it. I was going to say that he might be alive still. If a man could live nearly 1000 years,
    what would be so different about living several thousand years? With today's viagara, he has a new reason
    to live.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit