Rain, rain, rain

by Mulan 21 Replies latest jw friends

• Mulan
    Mulan

It is RAINING here today, big time. I had to go out for a few errands and it was SO miserable. The puddles are freaking LAKES. Of course we are supposed to tell everyone it rains everyday in Seattle.

A few years ago, we had so many people moving to Seattle, that there was a newspaper columnist who devised a "Lesser Seattle" program. He wanted us to say that "Yes, it rains all the time, here." It really doesn't, but we do have our share. The people kept coming anyway. In the summer, it is the most beautiful place I've ever been.

Back in the early 70's, there was a major depression in this area, and people were leaving by the masses. There was a big billboard, as you left the city limits, driving South, that said "The last person to leave, please turn out the lights."

I was standing out in the rain a minute ago, and thought of all of that, so decided to post it. Just musing.

Marilyn (a.k.a. Mulan)

• wasasister
    wasasister

Mulan, honey, I know how you feel! I can hear it pounding on my sky-lights! The best thing to do is light the fireplace, address Christmas cards, play really LOUD Christmas tunes (I've got a heavy metal one on now by Gary Hoey) and pretend it's spring!

Hang in there, my damp friends!

• Princess
    Princess

Even better, she is coming over to my house in a few minutes to work on our picture albums (scrapbooks). I have fresh baked cookies and will make lattes. In fact, the kids just ran to answer the door!

Have a great day everyone!

Princess

• Joyzabel
    Joyzabel

Hi, Marilyn,
    Sorry to hear its raining. My daughter and I visited Seattle for the first time in Sept. It was lovely there. We especially loved the downtown area and the flying fish market.(I had believed it rained everyday, so was pleasantly surprised when it was sunny three days in a row!) Maybe your rain will turn to snow and you will enjoy a white scenery for a change. j2bf

• Billygoat
    Billygoat

I've never been to Seattle and never really wanted to visit either. I'd only heard about the rain and as much as I've struggled with depression, rain is never appealing to me. It's rainy, cold, and gloomy here in Dallas today too.

Andi

• ted_and_jackie
    ted_and_jackie

I hear ya!
    I am near Seattle too...
    I didnt even want to go outside to get the mail its pouring hard where I live.

*sigh* Sure wish Starbucks delivered :-)

Jackie

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

Splish splash greetings from Hydopolis!

New York City actually gets more rain annually than Seattle does, but in Seattle it takes its time coming down. Lots and lots of gray drizzly days.

Monsoons only occasionally.

If you're planning a trip to Seattle, late August / early September are the ideal times. Absolutely gorgeous weather - the air is clear and all the mountains are out.

• JeffT
    JeffT

I've been watching the river level all day on King County's website. There is a good chance the Snoqualamie going to go over the banks and I won't get to work.

One of the downsides to living in the boondocks.

• lauralisa
    lauralisa

The timing on your post Marilyn is amazing...!

Just yesterday my significant other and I discussed the possibility of his taking a job with Microsoft, which is in Seattle or nearby there..... I was going to post a thread Hey, what's it like in Seattle?

I know it rains a lot.... and I also remember reading an article way back about Seattle being one of the USA's "top ten cities"....then so many people moving there that they did a kind of negative PR campaign to discourage further influx.... lol

I know Seattle has launched many rock and roll careers. What's it like for artists? Any information would be greatly appreciated....

Warm regards,

lauralisa

• rollercoaster
    rollercoaster

Mulan,
    I know how you feel. I love the stormy weather though. I don't mind the rain so much if I am wearing my barn boots and rain gear.
    Wasasister had a great idea. We should all get together soon and have cookies and cookies and more cookies. Of course we would need to have a few of Wasa's lemon drop drinks.
    I feel sorry for my employees. They are working out in this weather.
    RC

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit