Does a Cult Background Assist Atheists?

by Perry 57 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• hamilcarr
    hamilcarr
    Do you think that the experience with a bible cult has helped you develop the C. D. that is required for your atheism?

I've never seen a study that hinted at such a rash conclusion, and it doesn't correspond to my personal experience. Imo, your thesis is just an emotional outcry against a minority group that has been much distrusted (and maybe even discriminated against) in your country.

• CandleSurgeon
    CandleSurgeon

I'll even overlook the fact that in atheism it is impossible to know right from wrong.

You insult yourself with this statement.

CandleS

• Homerovah the Almighty
    Homerovah the Almighty

Yet, everyday atheists must look at the matter around them and somehow believe that something came from nothing.

This is the supreme definition of cognitive dissonance.

Not so, true intellectual honesty contains that there are still unknowns to be discovered, hence subjective theories are implied.

Case in point , how can the said big bang theory be perceived than other than a theory when such a thing has never been seen or evaluated.

The counter point argument that usually comes out of creationists is how and where did the matter that caused the big bang in the first

place come from ? In a answer to that one could then question where and how does a spiritual being always exist and did

it just evolve out of completely nothing and what factual evidence is there of a spiritual being ?

So you could say too that spiritualist suffer from cognitive dissonance in this case.

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

This is a job for Edward Current...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkCuc34hvD4

• beksbks
    beksbks

Gosh Perry, are you trying to give me one good reason to appreciate my cult upbringing?

• Awakened at Gilead
    Awakened at Gilead
    Yet, everyday atheists must look at the matter around them and somehow believe that something came from nothing. This is the supreme definition of cognitive dissonance.

And Perry looks around and says that God has always existed, although he hasn't been around for a while (1 Kings 18 test, anyone?)... Go figure...

Atheists don't believe that anything came from nothing. We are content to say: "We just don't have the answer, yet, but we are looking for it."

• tympan
    tympan

Perry,

Now, for a moment let's forget about the overlapping dino/human footprints in 70 million year old rock that destroys the atheist/evolution world-view.

This is utter baloney. The last of the dinosaurs and the first hominids were separated by around 60 million years. Back to school for you!

Let's forget about the stinking, rotting soft dinosaur tissue that is being found in ever-increasing instances.

Clean out your fridge more often! You cannot be serious?

let's forget about the fundamental requirement to "know all things"

Well you obviously know very little of these biological themes that you so flippantly use to backhand evolution with. And whose "fundamental requirement" is it? Maybe you mean fundamentalist perhaps? Your statement is illogical.

I'll even overlook the fact that in atheism it is impossible to know right from wrong.

It always annoys me when theists make this claim. So it's only atheists who lie, steal, cheat, assault and murder others? There's no believers before the courts and in jail? It is intrinsic to humanity to know how to treat your fellow humans properly. If I was to punch you on the nose, I do so knowing that you will most likely do the same to me. If I was to buy you a beer, then there is a high probability that you will do the same for me. This basic tenant predates religion.

And, all known effects are the result from prior causes. There are simply no known effects without causes

Presumably you include your god in this statement? It is illogical if you do not. Who made your god?

Yet, everyday atheists must look at the matter around them and somehow believe that something came from nothing. This is the supreme definition of cognitive dissonance.

Every day I look around me and I am amazed at the fact that life exists in its grandeur and complexity. I am awe-struck that I am able to comprehend this existence. I can understand and enjoy music and art and the company of my fellow humans and fellow species.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Perry, your comments are too early. April 1st is still nearly 2 weeks away.
    Maybe you are the one that is "fooled."

• AllTimeJeff
    AllTimeJeff

Perry, did CBN have re-runs all day long? Bored perhaps?

So the question for atheists here is: Do you think that the experience with a bible cult has helped you develop the C. D. that is required for your atheism?

C.D. That would be cognitive dissonance, correct? I am going to the dictionary again. (Jeopardy music playing in the background) This is from Wikipedia...

Cognitive dissonance is an uncomfortable feeling caused by holding two contradictory ideas simultaneously. The "ideas" or "cognitions" in question may include attitudes and beliefs, and also the awareness of one's behavior. The theory of cognitive dissonance proposes that people have a motivational drive to reduce dissonance by changing their attitudes, beliefs, and behaviors, or by justifying or rationalizing their attitudes, beliefs, and behaviors. [ 1 ] Cognitive dissonance theory is one of the most influential and extensively studied theories in social psychology.

I would be happy to accept any reputable online dictionary definition for this you feel comfortable with.

Perry, the C.D. that you refer to is quite common in JW land, where believers tend to try to hold on to their belief system, their faith, in the light of contradictory evidence, such as facts. JW's are experts at rationalizing as to the existence of Jehovah, and of the teaching that the GB was appointed to take care of gods people. Because there is no evidence, and plenty of failed prophecies and failed behaviors, one must engage in C.D. to keep their faith.

You are implying that atheists have C.D. in not believing in god. Again, you are putting your own labels on atheists, much like JW's do. Your aim here is to control the question, thus, you must also have the superior (read: correct) answer.

There is no factual evidence that your god exists. Atheists make no claim or deny the possibility we were created, or that life started by some sort of other life. We simply do not know that. And atheists are cool with that. But there is undeniable evidence of macro evolution, which at the least, takes out a large part of the bible, and is the only reason why Christians give a damn to argue it, because it loosens the potential control over others their beliefs have long had....

What upsets Christian theists like yourself is that your god is often called out, your holy book having a little Mene, Mene, Tekel and Parsin applied to it. It gets weighed upon evidence, and it is found wanting.

Now, if it were weighed only on some people emotional needs, that is a different scale entirely. It appears that the bible, and Jesus does the trick for you.

But to state with bold intellectual dishonesty that atheists have cognitive dissonance causes me to question you and your approach to your debate. It is no secret to anyone here Perry that you are a Christian who likes to argue for your beliefs, and I personally don't begrudge you this at all. But all this is to me is a desperate, shallow attempt at swapping the argument. As if to think that the same way Christianity is scrutinized can be done to atheist thought.

Atheism is simply a lack of belief in god. Thats it. (as has been commented on by others.) You are wrong, and thus, totally sabatoge your own premise with faulty, dishonest information.

Since atheism is only a disbelief in the existence of god, where is the cognitive dissonance? That is my one questioin to you.

• startingover
    startingover

Actually Perry's figures are probably correct. I bet the .7% who responded to atheist when asked about religion were confused and thought atheism is actually a religion. Or they misheard the question. How many people might respond to being a JW when asked that question who are no more a JW than I am simply because their parents may be?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit