Something creepy during a study

by kurtbethel 39 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

Hey Kurt,

I suppose you could ask him, "So, if you 'used to be like' me, what other unscriptural Watchtower teachings did you split hairs about?" Maybe you could ask him to show you where things like "paradise earth", "Governing Body", and "issue of universal sovereignty" appear in the Bible. Perhaps he will finally admit that the key to your "spiritual maturity" is to ignore the Bible and just "study" the Watchtower Corporation litteratrash.

And yes, I would call you a "study". That's some funny stuff.

B the X

• LouBelle
    LouBelle

cameo-d : if they can't answer the lil things, they wont answer the big and it's a great tactic to show them how misled they are.

• Kosonen
    Kosonen

You could ask a little simple question. Wich woe introduces the birth of God's Kingdom, according to Revelation? Well, he should know but if not, tell him that it's the 3:rd woe. Then ask, according to the Revelation do we not live in the 2:ond woe? So where is the birth of God's Kingdom? Tell him if he do not understand, that's in the future.

• keyser soze
    keyser soze

I suppose next you're going to argue that the GB isn't really the faithful and discreet slave? I suppose the bible doesn't say that, either?

• Maddie
    Maddie

Why are you studying with them? I don't understand your motives if you know they are a cult - just wondering

Maddie

• Mosesjoel
    Mosesjoel

I am being studied, but I find it mostly positive, and have a good teacher to explain everything to it's simplest way.

Ialways come up with awkward ideas and then explained sensibly about it, such as alien lifeon other planets, where are the dinosaurs mentioned etc etc, and yes the bible can easily support such statements if understood.

• reniaa
    reniaa

is the original serpent satan?

well it depends how seriously you take the greek scriptures particularily revelation and the fact Jesus taught satan as a real being with servants.

Revelation 20:2 (New International Version)

2 He seized the dragon, that ancient serpent, who is the devil, or Satan, and bound him for a thousand years.

"In many places in the Hebrew Scriptures, the word sa·tan´ appears without the definite article. Used in this way, it applies in its first appearance to the angel that stood in the road to resist Balaam as he set out with the objective of cursing the Israelites. (Nu 22:22, 32) In other instances it refers to individuals as resisters of other men. (1Sa 29:4; 2Sa 19:21, 22; 1Ki 5:4; 11:14, 23, 25) But it is used with the definite article ha to refer to Satan the Devil, the chief Adversary of God. (Job 1:6, ftn; 2:1-7; Zec 3:1, 2) In the Greek Scriptures the word sa·ta·nas´ applies to Satan the Devil in nearly all of its occurrences and is usually accompanied by the definite article ho."

to be honest the scripture for me that nails it is this one were jesus speaks to the pharisees.

John 8:44 (New International Version)

44 You belong to your father, the devil, and you want to carry out your father's desire. He was a murderer from the beginning, not holding to the truth, for there is no truth in him. When he lies, he speaks his native language, for he is a liar and the father of lies.

This for me confirms Jesus knew satan/devil was the one who was the man slayer from the beginning and john's words in revelation also confirm this viewpoint. I think there can be no other logical reasoning to have on this.

So if you don't think Satan is the original serpent how do you explain it?

• GromitSK
    GromitSK

This all sounds like two bald men arguing over a comb.If both parties agree that the Bible is an authority then I suppose there is some academic purpose in the debate. If there isn't agreement on that then it isn't even an academic argument. What is your position on the Bible as the authority Kurtbethel? :)

• PrimateDave
    PrimateDave

The first recorded murder in the Bible was that of Cain killing his brother Abel. The snake didn't kill anyone. And, yes, I already know the idea that "they died in God's eyes that very day" nonsense. There is so much speculation and inuendo in JW "theology" it is pathetic.

I believe the original poster was simply pointing out the fact that in the book of Genesis itself, which existed centuries before any of the Christian parts of the Bible, the snake is not directly and unequivocally identified as Satan The Devil. The words found in Revelation came long after the fact. Perhaps Leolaia could give us a clue about when or if the Christians and Jews of the first and second centuries C. E. made that identification.

• leavingwt
    leavingwt
    but I find it mostly positive

Please ask your study conductor to go over these points, in detail. You want to know exactly what you're joining, BEFORE you join.

http://www.jwfacts.com/index_files/wrong.htm

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit