Shunning: A Violation of YOUR Right of Freedom from Religion?

by cameo-d 23 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• cameo-d
    cameo-d

I really get hot under the collar when I read the stories of ex-Jws being told to leave weddings, funerals, and family gatherings simply because the

WT has overstepped their bounds and passed public judgement on these people declaring them "unfit to be around".

These judgements are based on adherance to WT interpretation of scriptures and organizational rules and laws they have devised from this "pick

and choose" scripture.

Should one decide, though clearer reasoning skills, that WT's interpretation is faulty, and should therefore step away from such man made lies and

manipulations, does that person not have the right to freedom from religion?

When a person is asked to leave a gathering based on his/her religious preference or lack of it...is that not a violation of this persons civil rights?

It seems that most ex's are very meek and humble when asked to leave.

What would happen if you refused to leave the wedding or the funeral, etc?

Has anyone ever stood their ground and opposed the bouncers?

Could the bouncers be held to account for violation of your civil rights of YOUR freedom of religion?

• blondie
    blondie

When the person giving the event is a jw.........they can choose who they want to attend but..........

When the person giving the event is not a jw, I resent when their jw relatives insist that the non-jw play the DF game and not invite the ex-jw. I figure the jws in this case should choose not to come.

Blondie

• rebel8
    rebel8

Morally, yes.

Legally....Which law protects people from discrimination on the basis of not belonging to a religion?

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

If you are on WT property or WT-rented property they can legally ask you to leave. It's their property and they have the rights of religion to back them up. Human rights issues get complicationed when religion is added to the mix.

ex-JWs who refuse to leave a wedding or especially a funeral after being asked or demanded by JWs leave not because they are weak but because they recognize the importance of the ceremony and have no desire to cause a scene. That will only disrupt their own grieving process but it will do no good.

• cameo-d
    cameo-d

Thanks for all the answers.

A recent poster made the comment that a gathering was held at home of relatives of the deceased at which JWs and non-JWs gathered. An attendent had been df'd 30 years prior to the event and she was told to leave by one of the JW relatives simply because she was no longer a JW. This 'bouncer' person was not the one hosting the event.

I do realize that most people will walk away without a scene because of respect to the others in attendance and the occassion. That is the dignified way to behave.

Still, if you are ostracized for no longer being a member of a religion or have changed to another religion, why would the same laws guaranteeing "freedom of religion" not be applied to this type of cult bullying?

Isn't there some way to call these cults on the carpet and make some changes with legal backing in the favor of ex-JWs?

Isn't there a legal way to put an end to this abuse as being a violation of basic human rights of freedom of religion?

• Jim_TX
    Jim_TX

Most JW funerals that I've attended have been held at funeral homes - with graveside services being held afterwards.

Since funeral homes are pretty much 'public' areas... I don't see getting kicked out of one of these - if one is behaving oneself (I.E. not causing a rucus.)

I _DO_ think that if one is asked to leave (a funeral home) - based upon the DF'ing issue - that one could have legal recourse - as it may fall under 'religious discrimination' - which... I thought was a no-no - at least here in the states.

I don't know if this same issue could be pursued - if activities are held in KHs - and one is asked to leave. (I remember the paper invitations that used to be printed up - that said 'Free to the Public' - or somesuch)

Finding a lawyer willing to pursue such a case, might be difficult... unless one approaches one that handles ACLU-type cases...

Regards,

Jim TX

• Anti-Christ
    Anti-Christ

I agree with you on this one. If it is in a public place and there are also non JW then it is a violation of your rights. Trust me if they would do that to me I would cause a stink, after of course.

• steve2
    steve2

As with all rights, striking a balance is critical. The other side is that we - you, me, them - have a right to be free from perceived or actual negative influences on our religious beliefs. Just as some JWs have been verifiably obnoxious in their attempts to spread their beliefs, some apostates have also been verifiably obnoxious.

I'm glad that I live in a civilization that attempts to resolve the difficult task of balancing human rights. Thank more than God that we do live in a civilzation that allows the discussion of these issues - even if specific groups within that civilization don't!

• rebel8
    rebel8

I assume you're talking about the US.

Funeral homes, restaurants, etc. can legally choose who is allowed on the premises and what they can do while there, providing such restrictions don't impinge upon someone's legal rights.

So then the question is, is there a legal right to not be subject to ritual shunning? Apparently not, because this issue has been hashed, rehashed, and triple-hashed on this forum and others like it.....with no progress.

A legal right in the US is something that the law specifically extends protection to. There would need to be a law protecting the freedom to not practice a religion, and preventing discrimination against those who don't practice a religion, in order for it to become a legal right. For example, the law protects exercising one's religion, freedom of speech, etc.

Find a law that protects the non-practice of religion, and bingo, you're set.

Amendment 1 - Freedom of Religion, Press, Expression. Ratified 12/15/1791.Note Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

JohnDoe, correct me if I'm wrong.

I think ACLU takes on issues that are illegal, right? Shunning is not illegal, nor is asking someone to leave private property just because you don't like them.

Now there is the question of the UN Human Rights rules. They are not legally binding but they do seem to suggest shunning is not in harmony with those rules. I spent a LOT of time searching for someone to take this on as an advocacy project but no one would.

• Mrs. Fiorini
    Mrs. Fiorini

Rebel8 said, "I spent a lot of time searching for someone to take this on as an advocacy project but no one would."

Please tell me more. Either here or PM me with details.

Thanks.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit