Shunning: A Violation of YOUR Right of Freedom from Religion?

by cameo-d 23 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

I've experianced a JW gathering that included non JW relatives and the non JW relatives were clearly treated as outsiders. Those non JW relatives were mine at my own wedding and I was greatly embarresed to hear afterwards how my family was treated. It was my first marraige and alot of people were there. No one was asked to leave and had they been I would have been all over it.

Unfortunately for others, the average JW would succumb to pressures if an elder made the suggestion. It's really not a legal issue. I've been to Morman dances and they have dress codes. I imagine that other groups do the same. But I've applied the principle in my life that I would never join a group that would have me as a member

• cameo-d
    cameo-d

Rebel 8: Oh. If this is what you're talking about, I guess I'm totally confused as to what the question is for this thread. :?Harassment and assault can be reported to the police, whether religion is involved or not.You'd have to find a law that prohibits a non-host to ask a person to leave private property.

Rebel 8: I was just trying to throw out possibility for some other angles to keep WT policy in its place. I don't think 'shunning' should be a contact sport. Avoiding someone is one thing; using intimidation on host and guest to remove guest from your presence is over the line.There should be some legal maneuver to turn this back on them.

Being hateful simply because someone was disfellowshipped 30 years ago and telling them to leave because of their religious preference or lack of, should have some legal ramifications as far as being a church policy. This was not a personal matter nor old family wound. This hatefulness was based on someone's religious preference. Also, since this is not an isolated instance and many are subjected to this sort of hatefulness for no personal reason, it should enter into some class action procedure against WT rules of shunning and rules of engagement.

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

Unfortunately, "Freedom of Religion" seems to benefit religious organizations more than it benefits Joe Worshipper who, more often than not, has his personal rights trampled by the very organizations that claim to espouse "religious freedom".

W

• SnakesInTheTower
    SnakesInTheTower

You'd have to find a law that prohibits a non-host to ask a person to leave private property.

If the owner of the private property allows a guest to do anything, what can you do? Asking you to leave because you are not a dub is not illegal. If they didn't like you because you are black or homosexual, or Jewish, or a Jehovah's Witness, or any other division of the human race, so be it. It is not illegal. It is why private clubs are still allowed to exist and exclude members. (ie, the KKK is not forced to allow whites into their little private group). Unless the property owner objects and shows that the non-host was exerting undue coercion, nothing to be done.

We may not like it and it certainly seems reprehensible for someone (JWs) who claims to be "Christian" to show such utter lack of love, but there is nothing you can do about it. It is not illegal... such people are just being an ass. And if being an ass were illegal, there would not be enough people left walking free to be the guards in the prisons for all the locked up asses in the world.

Now if the non-host allowed someone to do something illegal, such as allowing underage drinking, and the private property owner allowed it, then of course law enforcement would be interested...and both the non host and the private property owner would be held legally, civilly, and criminally liable for allowing it. Whole different story.

dunno...just thinking out loud...

Snakes ()

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit