Is JW Disfellowshipping Scriptural?

by minimus 42 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

The Bible says to "remove the wicked man". The scriptures teach that certain things are "works of the flesh". Some verses speak of "marking" or "taking special notice of" if a congregant is "disorderly".

Where does the Bible teach that a "sinner" should meet with 3 elders and they should hold a "judicial meeting to determine whether someone is repentant oe not"? Where does it say that one shouldn't even say "hello" to a "fornicator"?

How would you show that the Witness way of shunning or disfellowshipping is scripturally incorrect?

• Quirky1
    Quirky1

It may not be scriptural but it sure is scripted...

• isaacaustin
    isaacaustin

The supposed reinstatement of the dfed man from 1 Co 5 occurs in 2 Co 2. It is called the rubuke 'given by the majority'- not all.

The Greek word rendered "quit mixing in company with' in 1 Co 5 is the identical Greek word rendered 'stop assocaiting with' in Thes. It is rendered differently so the JW won't make the connection and see he is to not consider the person an enemy but continue admonishing him as a brother.

Another point- JWs point to Matt 18:15-17 where it says that if he does not listen even to the cong to treat him as a tax collector or as a man of the nations. They then elaborate on the Pharasaic view of hatred and shunning toward sinners and tax collectors. That is true. BUT what example did Jesus set toward sinners and tax collectors? Did he not sit and eat with them- to the dismay of the Pharisees? Why would Jesus tell his followers to not be like the Pharisees in ever aspect except this one?

• FreeWilly
    FreeWilly

I have had these conversation with JW's before. I've gone straight to the verses asked: Who was Paul speaking to? Was he giving instructions to Congregation leaders on how to hold Judicial committees? OR was he giving advice to all members on how to choose their association? Paul refused to make association decisions for others. Sure he did give counsel on association, but he left the ultimate decision up to individuals. There was no Tribunals assembles to cast people out of the congregation. No decrees, no official announcements that congregation and family members are obliged to obey. Just counsel to individual members on how to choose associates wisely - completely at odds with the JW kangaroo tribunal.

This is evidenced in the particular case Paul speaks about. He says essentially that this man is obscene to him. But he issues no decree. Instead he exorts congregants to wise up and make the right choice. Compare that to the JW method where congregants (even blood family members) are TOLD they will obey the decree or face banishment themselves.

• minimus
    minimus

I strongly believe that Jehovah's Witnesses are nothing but an offshoot of Judaism.

• isaacaustin
    isaacaustin

agreed Minimus...they have a very Judiazed version of the NT. Their shunning and reproval has parallells with those of Judaism. Although their chronology is/was rotted in 2nd Adventism.

• minimus
    minimus

They love connecting themselves to the Jewish tribunals. NOWHERE in the NT does it show Christians how to perform a
    judicial committee meeting, treat a person like dirt, etc.

• isaacaustin
    isaacaustin

or how about ratting people out?

Notice what Joseph did when he had seeming conclusive proof of sin:

18 But the birth of Jesus Christ was in this way. During the time his mother Mary was promised in marriage to Joseph, she was found to be pregnant by holy spirit before they were united.

seemingly indisputable proof of fornication

19 However, Joseph her husband, because he was righteous and did not want to make her a public spectacle, intended to divorce her secretly. 20 But after he had thought these things over, look! Jehovah’s angel appeared to him in a dream, saying: “Joseph, son of David, do not be afraid to take Mary your wife home, for that which has been begotten in her is by holy spirit.

Joseph was considered righteous for not reporting what seemed to be fornication. What happens if a witness followed this righteous example?

• minimus
    minimus

Great point!

When someone has heard of a "possible sin", they MUST REPORT it! If not, they too could be DF'd.

• wobble
    wobble

Great points all,as usual JWfacts.com has a terrific article on this subject.

I recently E-mailed a friend who has just been DF'd in circumstances that are quite laughable,except if it happens to you.She is still a believer but is most upset at her unfair treatment,so I hope she reads the article,and the rest of what is an excellent site.

It could be though that she just thinks I have gone Apostate and I hear no more from her,ho hum,we shall see.

But the whole dis-fellowshipping thing is wrong in the way it is done,it is simply about rigid totalitarian style control.

Love

Wobble

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit