Changes to the Kingdom Interlinear

by PanzerZauberei 48 Replies latest watchtower bible

• truthlover
    truthlover

take a look at the WT 3/15 for May 25 lesson page 25 --with a picture of Jesus on a stake with his hands over his head, but the nails are thru his wrists THEN

take a look at 8/15,2009 page 10 - the evildoer on a stake next to Jesus with -once again-- nail thru the wrist...

Doubting Thomas wanted to see the nail marks in Jesus' hands before he would believe

Ref: John 20:25-27 " nails in hands" - KJV

Has anyone noticed this before? Is this something sliding into our subconscience minds?

Sorry I may be off topic but thought it was impt

• leftbelow
    leftbelow

I don't really have anything to add. But wanted to say I really enjoy the discussion. Its just nice to see a place were people are free to ask questions like this instead of just accept one side is right because they say they are!

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

Truthlover,

This may not be so much of an issue as in Biblical languages (Hebrew, Aramaic, and "Jewish" Greek at least) the words usually translated as "hand" actually have a broader anatomical denotation which can include not only the wrist but the forearm up to the elbow (same for "foot" up to the knee), not to mention metonymy which can make it equivalent to "arm" (or "leg"). The paleo-Hebrew (and Phoenician, proto-Sinaitic) letter yod is thought to derive from the picture of a forearm which would correspond to this broad meaning of yad -- which is usually translated as "hand". Which such a background it would not be surprising that what we call "wrist" would be included in the Gospel use of kheir, "hand".

• truthlover
    truthlover

Thank you Narkissos, appreciate your info, do you have an opinion on the stake vs the cross as Jesus' mode of death?

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

I have an opinion for sure but it is hardly original... nor particularly important imo (except to the WT). I think the overwhelming evidence from contemporary Roman history and literature, as well as the earliest Christian tradition (which Leolaia has presented here in great detail) is that the Gospel Passion stories suggest a two-piece "cross" (more likely a "T" than the traditional Latin cross), stauros referring in the narrowest sense to the horizontal beam (patibulum in Latin) which was carried by the convict to the place of execution, and in the broadest sense to the complete device.

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    letter yod is thought to derive from the picture of a forearm which would correspond to this broad meaning of yad -- which is usually translated as "hand". Which such a background it would not be surprising that what we call "wrist" would be included in the Gospel use of kheir, "hand".

Kneel before YOD!

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

Just thought I'd bttt this for the newbies... and for "scholar"... and in memory of the "celebrated JW scholar" Michelangelo.

• monkeyman
    monkeyman

"Care Naught"?

Wow, he must be smart!

• debator
    debator

HI narkissos

You talk about the translation for "hand" but your point backs witnesses use of original wording "stake" up did you realise that?

Because the word remains "hand" even if the wrist of forearm where known to be included and it could simply be hand as well. But if someone put wrist instead of "hand" they would be assuming on the word and distorting that the word is "hand" when translated whatever it included.

This is also the case for "stauros"

Again whatever people thought in the centuries after Jesus death this has nothing to do with original wording. None of these were inspired so changing the wording to their opinion is taking it away from it's original inspiration.

And again I reiterate a T-shaped Tau impalement does not allow for a sign above Jesus's head because of the way the patibulum slotted over the stake.

• Dogpatch
    Dogpatch

Scholar is so wise! The new educated prophet to the Watchtower. Probably disfellowshipped and trying to earn points with Jehooover.

Randy

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit