Changes to the Kingdom Interlinear

by PanzerZauberei 48 Replies latest watchtower bible

• scholar
    scholar

Leolaia

Right, so Lipsius' illustration agrees with example of the Michelangelo sculpture for both depict a stake with the former believed to be that of a figure of Christ.

scholar JW

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

You keep missing the point. Lipsius and Michaelangelo are both cited as giving depictions of the "impalement of Christ" on a simple stake. You see those words in the preceding sentence, the "impalement of Christ"? The wording is misleading because the "for example" phrase implies that Lipsius' depiction is another example of the "impalement of Christ" not corresponding to what Christendom generally believes.

• Atlantis
    Atlantis

Watchtower-1987-August-15th-p.29. "We thus recognize that depictions of Jesus' death in our publications, such as you see on page 24, are merely reasonable artistic renderings of the scene, not statements of anatomic absolutes." "absolutelysure" how Jesus died? Or, does the quote sound more like a disclaimer? Cheers! Atlantis!

• scholar
    scholar

Leolaia

It is you that fails to see the point because the introductory statement to the reference to Lipsiius says "illustrated impalement on an upright stake", there is no mention of Christ in this immediate context so your contention that both references refer to Christ is wrong. The former, namely the sculpture refers to Christ and the stake whereas the latter refers to the stake alone. If you are having this much trouble with comprehension how can your treatise on the cross vs stake be taken seriously. Regarding your treatise why is it that you make no mention of these relevant pieces of secular eviidence?

scholar JW

• scholar
    scholar

Atlantis

Absolutely, the Society is not ambivalent on this matter as the evidenc eboth secular and biblical proves that Jesus died on a stake rather than a pagan cross. Again your focus is wrong for the statement of 'anatomic absolutes' refers to the body of Christ and not the instrument of his death.

scholar JW

• middleman
    middleman

Scholar...I'll deal with you inna minute...

• Atlantis
    Atlantis

Scholar:

Again you have missed the main point! Proof scholar, not opinions! Get the point!

Cheers! Atlantis!

• middleman
    middleman

Here's a nice one to consider...

But is it true?

Justin Martyr (died 165 A.D.) wrote “Moses himself prayed to God, stretching out both hands... if he
    gave up any part of this sign, whichwas an imitation of the cross...

Irenaeus (died 200 A.D.) wrote “The very form of the cross, too, has five extremities, two in length,
    two in breadth, and one in the middle, on which [last] the person rests who is fixed by the nails.”

This depiction below is 1st-2nd century graffiti from Rome and it reads Alexamenos worships his god.

• Satanus
    Satanus

Sure, i can just see jesus saying to the roman govt, 'sorry, i don't want to be hung on a cross, but i'ld love to be impaled!' Justis lipsius had 15 or 20 pictures of how the romans killed people slowly, and i very much doubt that the criminal had much say in the matter. Scolar speak w crossed toungue, as usual.

S

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

Awesome!!!! We finally have the name of a "Celebrated Watchtower Scholar"...

Michelangelo di Lodovico Buonarroti Simoni

Since he worked for the Pope, I'm sure Michelangelo must have been Catholic. And it's pretty certain that he was homosexual. But Watchtower Corporation can't be picky when they find a "Celebrated Scholar" that might agree with them on something a little bit. I'm sure Brooklyn would eagerly accept an arrogant, gay, Catholic artist to help research, write, and illustrate the Botchtower and Asleep! magazines!! With all the pictures of naked men and more naked men in the litteratrash, I'm sure the circulation would skyrocket!

I'm wondering, scholar, if this "alleged sculpture by Michelangelo of a figure of Christ with his hands stretched above him rather than to the side" displayed "the Lord's", um, shall we say, "family jewels". And did Michelangelo's sculpture with the raised arms further lengthen and slenderize his godlike body to the excitement of all onlookers?

But now I'm also wondering... If Michelangelo is a "celebrated JW scholar" and a fountain of Scriptural truth... does that mean that his sculpture of Moses is historically accurate?

Did Moses have horns? Michelangelo thoughtknew that he did!

Thanks for the info, scholar!

B the X

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit