Who is the Green Man?

by cameo-d 50 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Sarah Smiles
    Sarah Smiles

Maybe he is a green woman!

• cameo-d
    cameo-d

Osiris was usually depicted as having green skin.

The shepherds crook symbolizes his authority over the (people) sheep.

The flail is a power symbol as it is sometimes used as a weapon.

• cameo-d
    cameo-d

Green man goes waaaaay back.

Why has he become an archetypal figure?

There is some clue here; there is some significance and a hidden message.

What could it be?

Why is the man green and what does he represent?

Here is another one.

But he only has green hands...

Take the "tour of church" (the gargoyles under the altar freaked me out!)

http://www.saint-augustine.org.uk/

• cameo-d
    cameo-d

Although transposed, why does this one hold the very same items as Osiris?

• frogit
    frogit

I have seen the Green Man in the Woods around here, you can see him in most Woods and Forests in England, you just have to look hard, and let you imagination wonder. It's just like staring or gazing at the clouds and patterns on curtains, eventually you begin to see faces and body shapes.

Robin Hood lived around here too, just up the road at Sherwood Forest from me.

frogit

• cameo-d
    cameo-d

Al-Khidr, The Green Man

Khidr literally means 'The Green One', representing freshness of spirit and eternal liveliness, green symbolizing the freshness of knowledge “drawn out of the living sources of life.” Whatever the source for this green may he, it has come to symbolize the benign presence of the divine wisdom as imparted by the Divine Himself to Khidr and to Prophet Muhammad. Qur'ânic commentators say that al-Khidr ('The Green Man' of pre-Islamic lore) is one of the prophets; others refer to him simply as an angel who functions as a guide to those who seek God. And there are yet others who argue for his being a perfect wali meaning the one whom God has taken as a friend. Khidr is associated with the Water of Life. Since he drank the water of immortality he is described as the one who has found the source of life , 'the Eternal Youth.' He is the mysterious guide and immortal saint in popular Islamic lore and the hidden initiator of those who walk the mystical path . In the Muslim tradition Khidr is alive and well and continues to guide the perplexed and those who invoke his name. http://khidr.org/

• sir82
    sir82

Aquaman had a green suit, didn't he? That's my vote.

• undercover
  • Warlock
    Warlock

He's in hiding.

Warlock

• cameo-d
    cameo-d

Interesting find, Undercover. Thanks for your detective work. I guess you've earned the trenchcoat.

T he face of the Green Man , or Jack of the Wood can be found adorning churches over much of Europe. The

earliest known instances of this deity appeared around the 2nd century AD. Very little is known of the Green

Man. It is said that he represents the male counterpart to the Goddess of the early European pagans. Fertility,

nature, death and rebirth are strong themes of the Green Man. He is traditionally celebrated on May Day every

year even to this day in some English villages. Green Men are depicted in all shapes and sizes, from spewing

branches and foliage from the mouth, ears, and eyes, to simple leaf enshrined faces. Many popular folklore

characters are based on the Green Man, Including the Green Knight from the Arthurian legend Sir Gawain and

the Green Knight and Robin Hood. The green Man stares down on us from the boughs of trees and the spires of

cathedrals reminding us that nature is ever present and we are always at its mercy.

(May Day has a special connection to Illuminati. But that's another thread!)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit