Are You Surprised That You Ever Believed "In The Truth"?

by minimus 33 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

Knowing what you know now, are you embarrassed that you ever believed in the Jehovah's Witness religion?

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

Considering where my head was at in 1983 I'm not surprised I believed the JWs and joined them. What surprises me is the length of time I tolerated their crap before finally deciding that I had reached my limit.

I was more embarrassed to tell people I was a JW while I was still a member than now.

W

• minimus
    minimus

I have no issue telling people I was a JW. Their look is always priceless.

• shopaholic
    shopaholic

No I'm not surprised I believed it at one time because I was raised in the religion. However, I would like to believe that I would not have been bamboozled if I had been introduced to the religion as an adult. It always amazes me that adults will give up their self-identity and holidays to join the JWs.

I don't tell people about my JW past not because of embarrassment but because everyone is related to a JW and I don't feel like being hounded.

• Satanus
    Satanus

Not really. I grew up w the stuff. Before i could read, i used to look at those horrible rutherfordian and knorr pictures. I left it for a couple of yrs, during my late teens. Unfortunately, i never ran into anything that cleared the religion from my brain. Hard times persuaded me to go back, thinking that they must have been right.

S

• Bubblie
    Bubblie

The whole package of paradise on earth, knowing what the outcome of the final war would be, the feeling you were serving a loving Father, the love bombing of the people when you are new...it really turns my stomach I can remember all of this when I think about it. I wish I had never gotten baptized. I had many doubts in the beginning but they would always talk me back into it. We felt like we were doing something special. I was so sucked in by the cult. Then, I was a hippie and wanted to find a place to fit in since it was all going away with people getting into the hard drugs and really losing it.

Kit

• inkling
    inkling

No.

Based on the (carefully filtered) information and experiences I had available for inspection,
    being an active and sincere witness was my best and most reasonable option.

[inkling]

• villabolo
    villabolo

I was fourteen and naive when I got myself into the Witnesses plus I was eager to learn about the Bible and with their bookwormish intellectualism I was hooked. Fortunately I maintained my curiosity which having gotten me in also eventually helped to get me out.

As for being surprised that any one becomes a witness or any other religion, no it should not be surprising, it's human nature to do such things. We are all predisposed towards getting religious depending on personal circumstances. It's sad though.

• minimus
    minimus

If I wasn't raised a JW, I KNOW, I NEVER would've joined. NEVER!

• no more kool aid
    no more kool aid

I am with Minimus, I was born in, I would have never walked in. That's the only excuse I have for myself.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit