Watchtower defense of NGO status in the UN

by Psychotic Parrot 26 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• Farkel
    Farkel

psychotic parrot,

:So why did they become an NGO? Do we know the real reason yet?

They got to be chauffered around in UN helicoptes while visiting various countries, for one. Another reason is purely political. Suppose a country thinks JWs are a dangerous cult (they are) and wants to tax/control/ban them. The WT bigshots could say, "hey! The United Nations accepted us as a Nongovernmental member, and they don't do that for everyone, especially dangerous organizations. So you see, we CAN'T be a cult/dangers....."

Being a part of the UN gave the WTS credibility they could never earn on their own.

Farkel

• Latte
    Latte

Yeah..the gov body says wemust not celebrate the birth of our children - yet they can be A member of the UN . What ROT!

• yknot
    yknot

Reasons...

Perks and status

Also take in consideration that the WTS is a personality driven organization and the leading personality at the time was the nemisis of Ted.

• Quandry
    Quandry

Welcome, P Parrot,

I'm afraid dad is not ready to listen. Please have patience. It may stay in the back of his mind. I know that a few short years ago I would have defended anything the WTS said, even though inside I might have wondered.....

If enough things like this come to his attention, maybe sometime he will start to put things together. For now, let things sink in, and hope for the best.

• Mickey mouse
    Mickey mouse

I quite like this letter. It's straightforward and to the point.

Photobucket

• Mrs. Fiorini
    Mrs. Fiorini

It was interesting reading your link to the WT apologist site. It seems their main point was to try to deflect from the fact that the WT voluntarily became associated with the UN. They are right that association with the UN did not make them an NGO. And there are many NGOs not associated with the UN. But that is hardly the point.

They also spend a lot of time determining the exact procedure involved when the WT became associated with the UN. I don't think any of that matters. The issue is that, for whatever reasons, the WT voluntarily chose to be associated with the organization they say is the wild beast of Revalation. An organization that they believe is controlled by Satan. They have spent many years claiming that the harlot, "false" religion, will be destroyed by the UN, and that part of what makes them so evil is that they are riding the wild beast.

In my opinion, voluntary association with the UN in any way and for any reason is a huge hypocricsy for the WT. They know this too, which is why they immediately withdrew as soon as they were found out.

I also felt that their excuse was pretty weak. As if the UN had the only good library in New York, and they were simply unable to get the necessary information to continue publishing their literature without it.

• Kenneson
    Kenneson

While Ngos can associate with the U.N.'s Department of Public Information or DPI, only nations

of the world are considered members of the U.N. However, DPI does have certain criteria as can

be seen in this News Release around the time that the Watchtower Society was accepted for

association. Note, that certain things were required and that NGOs that were inactive could be removed.

Moreover, Watchtower representatives had to attend 2 days of orientation, so they well knew what to

expect.

http://www.randytv.com/secret/feb92dpia.jpg

http://www.randytv.com/secret/feb92dpib.jpg

It was also unnecessary to associate with DPI in order to use the U.N.'s documents in the Dag Hammarskjold Library. There

are Depository Libraries containing these in several place in New York State, including Columbia Univesity

in N.Y. City. The Watchtower, on one side of their mouth, gave the U.N. a bad rap, while on the other they

acted as its spokesperson by writing articles on the U.N. in Awake! magazine and presenting these to DPI

as evidence of their commitment for association. How hypocritical is that! It would be like the Watchtower associating with

a Catholic organization in order to use the Vatican Library.

That site by 3dWitness, pure and simple, is an attempt to whitewash.

• Psychotic Parrot
    Psychotic Parrot

So it's definately true that the WTBTS has never denied actually being an NGO? I need to confirm this as my dad is adament that they have denied it, & this denial is good enough for him! Which i find completely stupid :(

• AllTimeJeff
    AllTimeJeff

I think the fact that the UN confirms it is proof enough.. Oh wait, they are the wild beast of Revelation 17. I am sure that they would totally make this up to make JW's look bad, right? Right?

Lol. Talk about getting caught with your pants down by the same group you say is giving a ride to the great harlot.

• oompa
    oompa

That is a nice, well written, and thorough site. However, did i miss something? Does it say anything about WHY they felt the need to quit being an NGO to use the library if there was really nothing wrong with what they had been doing for so long?...........oompa

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit