House votes to require pledges to the flag...problems coming the Witnesses' way?

by passwordprotected 31 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• jeeprube
    jeeprube

Why is it that Republicans cry freedom, and yet work to enact some of the most totalitarian laws possible? This is a scary bit of legislation.

• Farkel
    Farkel

Gill,

:mkr - is this a recent victory?

Farkel

• willyloman
    willyloman

"In Oklahoma City, 40 percent of the students are Hispanic, and we wanted...

We live in an area with a large Hispanic population and I attend many public events. In my experience, when the pledge is recited, almost none of the Hispanic audience members participate. I doubt they will embrace the additional pledge either.

• willyloman
  • SixofNine
    SixofNine

Oklahoma is jealous that Texas has been able to take the lead in destroying everything good in America.

• undercover
    undercover

Why not reform the pledge back to this:

• Gregor
    Gregor

:mkr - is this a recent victory?

Farkel

I was enrolled in 1st grade in 1951, just 8 yrs after this ruling but there was still huge stigma attached to the act of refusing to recite the pledge. Of course, the adults could easily avoid being in this situation, like showing up for a sporting event after the flag salute, etc. But we school children went through it every school day and I can't tell you how many times I was punched or prodded during the pledge, followed up by ridicule on the play ground afterwards. My school mates were the sons and daughters of WWII vets. As the anti-communist cold war progressed through the fifties it got worse and worse. Then we were given "new light" and told to not stand for the national anthem. That was almost worse than the flag pledge.

As to the thread, I don't think this will be an issue at all for JWs.

• Gill
    Gill

This sort of experience is torture for school children!

If they really don't want their children to participate it would be better to home school them rather than force this pain on them everyday!

It is inhumane!

However, one of the benefits I had of growing up as a JW and going to school is that all the taunts and teasing taught me not to give a flying fart for what anyone else thinks of me......but it took time for that benefit to finally come up trumps in that it gave courage to walk away from the Witlesses.

• suchafool
    suchafool

When my daughter was in public school, (took her out 3 years ago), here in Texas, they were having to say the pledge to the US flag as well as the Texas flag and then a moment of silence. Being a Witness or anyone who didn't want their child saying this would have to write a letter explaining it and that was it.

• blondie
    blondie

I grew up in the rebellious 60's. My fellow students voted not to say the pledge saying it was for babies. We did not have to do it. They were prepared to "demonstrate" and it wasn't just for my benefit.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit