Straight intellectualizing cannot lead to belief or faith in God !

by caliber 46 Replies latest jw friends

• quietlyleaving
    quietlyleaving

caliber, that article has a number of deadends in it imo.

• Big Tex
    Big Tex
    How can a god who has everything WANT anything? Silly god concept. I searched for god for decades. Yes, i did find. But, the bible god appears to be hidden, because he exists only in the minds of the believers.

Interesting quote Satanus.

Like you, I've searched for nearly my whole life. I have tried as hard as I can and now at age 47 I am forced to concluded one of three things -- god, like so many others in my life, doesn't care one iota about me; or (2) I am contaminated/born bad/cursed/whatever that repels this god of love; or (3) there is no Higher Power and we are on our own.

I find the third option most comforting. Since no option is open for a positive experience in the afterlife, I would much rather be wiped out via oblivion than be tortured or condemned.

I will say, however, I have always envied people of faith. It must be a great comfort to believe in something so warm and pleasant.

Chris

• Satanus
    Satanus

Big tex

What i found was more along the lines of the eastern concept. It's not so much god, as source. But, that's just me. If you have found comfort, that's a good thing.

S

• Big Tex
    Big Tex

I hear you about conceptualizing a source. That makes more sense to me than judgmental, bean counting Christian god.

But no I have not found comfort. Some people have off days, I've had off lifetime. Maybe next life I'll get it right.

Chris

• caliber
    caliber

I hear you about conceptualizing a source. That makes more sense to me than judgmental, bean counting Christian god
    .. Chris (Big Tex )

The concept of a judgmental , punishing God is purely dogmatic , a man made construction. God does not relish in punishment

God desires to love .

We know that God does not condemn us..."For not even the Father judges anyone, but He has given all judgment to the Son," - John 5:22

"For God did not send the Son into the world to judge the world, but that the world should be saved through Him. He who believes in Him is not judged; .... John 3:17- 18

Many people have traveled this world with different dreams, purposes and aspirations. Many are masters, teachers, inventors and followers. They were all sent by the creator of the universe to achieve one just course; “global peace and unification.” But this course cannot be achieved without unconditional love, which possesses the magical powers of the Divine for transformation. When the human race embraces love unconditional, then the lost will be found, the naked will be clothed, the hungry will be fed, the bombs will be destroyed and there will be peace and unity which will make us all to speak one language, “LOVE”. Let love abide .

- Philip D. Brown, Port Harcourt, Rivers State, Nigeria

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

Yhwh of Babel was way less soapy. The God of "love unconditional" now needs a devil to make for difference, with all the antagonism and fecundity it implies (difference without which there would be neither room for, nor meaning to "love" in the first place).

I'm afraid Nietzsche's diagnosis is right on this point: the ideal of "love unconditional" (and universal) betrays a deep hatred of reality (as supposedly created by "God"). At least Gnosticism was a bit more consistent in this view...

• caliber
    caliber

God does not force us to believe in him, .... Instead, he has provided sufficient proof of his existence for us to willingly respond to him. (1)The earth's perfect distance from the sun, the unique chemical properties of(2)water, (3)the human brain, (4)DNA, (5)the number of people who attest to knowing God, the gnawing in our hearts and minds to determine if God is there,(6) the willingness for God to be known through Jesus Christ

http://www.everystudent.com/features/isthere.html

Does God exist? The DNA code informs, programs a cell's behavior.

Well, just like you can program your phone to beep for specific reasons, DNA instructs the cell. DNA is a three-billion-lettered program telling the cell to act in a certain way. It is a full instruction manual. 14

Natural, biological causes are completely lacking as an explanation when programmed information is involved. You cannot find instruction, precise information like this, without someone intentionally constructing it.

The human brain...simultaneously processes an amazing amount of information. Your brain takes in all the colors and objects you see, the temperature around you, the pressure of your feet against the floor, the sounds around you, the dryness of your mouth, even the texture of your keyboard. Your brain holds and processes all your emotions, thoughts and memories. At the same time your brain keeps track of the ongoing functions of your body like your breathing pattern, eyelid movement, hunger and movement of the muscles in your hands.

Awe and reasoning power together helps one draw a proper conclusion

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

And that, of course, is not "intellectualizing"...

Maybe God doesn't want faith after all? He's given us just too much "evidence"...

You can't have it both ways caliber: either preach God known by the "heart" or God as the conclusion of scientifico-logical argument... mixing them is deadly to both.

Again, the apologetic/evangelistic line of argument boils down to: use your reason as long as we can agree, then forget about it and surrender to ours...

• leavingwt
    leavingwt
    Again, the apologetic/evangelistic line of argument boils down to: use your reason as long as we can agree, then forget about it and surrender to ours...

That is what I've noticed, too. Excellent summary.

• caliber
    caliber
    And that, of course, is not "intellectualizing"... .....Narkissos
    Maybe God doesn't want faith after all? He's given us just too much "evidence"... Narkissos

You can't have it both ways ...Narkissos
    Who says ?...
    ... Caliber

My point is that you do have it both ways. The title was straight intellect is not all there is

(1) Awe and (2)reasoning power together helps one draw a proper conclusion......Caliber

Even intellectual facts took digging and years of study .. it didn't arrive on"a silver platter ".. it wasn't easy .

Again, the apologetic/evangelistic line of argument boils down to: use your reason as long as we can agree, then forget about it and surrender to ours... Narkissos

Which of my quoted facts do you not agree with ? the eye, DNA, the brain, water construction.. IMO if you look at these facts there is no way to disagree

there had to be a higher mind controlling and creating these things !

Caliber

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit