What is the most damning scripture in the Bible?

by viva 40 Replies latest watchtower bible

• kurtbethel
    kurtbethel

To me the most puzzling accepting the bible to be true in every word ! was, Math.12 v 31 on this account I say to you, Every sort of sin and blasphemy will be forgiven men, but the blasphemy against the holy spirit will not be forgiven.
    In 30 years I could never understand how you can sin against the "Holy Spirit".
    Yet your life depends upon you knowing, you must not do this.

That would be going around telling people that Holy Spirit is not a person but is something mindless like electricity. It really grieves the old fellow and you will surely roast for that.

• KAYTEE
    KAYTEE

kurtbethel,

"That would be going around telling people that Holy Spirit is not a person but is something mindless like electricity. It really grieves the old fellow and you will surely roast for that"

What exactly are you saying to me Kurtbethel, I have a deep love of Jehovah and Jesus Christ.

I spent 30 years in the wts having given away my very successful company to join them.

I thought I knew much of the bible in all that time, but even so there was parts that were a puzzle ! but because of their failure to adhere to Christian principles I found I could not go along with them, I still beleive I have Christian principles WITHOUT THEM.

What are you saying to me.

KT

He's saying don't sin against the Holy spirit, it's bad mmkay?

Anyway, here are some damning scriptures.

Genesis 3:24
    After he drove the man out, he placed on the east side of the Garden of Eden cherubim and a flaming sword flashing back and forth to guard the way to the tree of life. (God invented the sword?)

Ecclesiastes 1:5
    The sun rises and the sun sets, and hurries back to where it rises. (Sun goes around the Earf)

• loosie
    loosie

"you are my witnesses is the utterance of Jehovah"

That one started a whole big mess of an organization.

• sidgi
    sidgi

Viva,

you don't say what the particular scripture is supposed to be damning of.... men in general?.... Itself as being inspired?..... The notion that God exists?.... Today's religious applications in the various so-called Christian religions?... etc. I am sorry for butting in on this post, as I don't usually on this site, but I was curious as I was reading the various responses of those left to decide for themselves how it applies.

sidgi

• oompa
    oompa

(Deuteronomy

ya that is my fave!.......this is about a rule that allows the rape of a VERY young virgin....and the girl gets the privilege of having to marry her rapist!!!......now back then, kids married VERY early.......and they were ENGAGED by their parents VERY early....so this law pretty much urges creeps to molest and rape very very young girls!...children!!!.....and their PUNISHMENT is that they get to MARRY her...and can not DIVORCE her all his days!!!.....boo hoo hoo!!!...the rapist can not divorce the hot little girl he pick out to rape?!?!?!?.........this is the most disturbing scripture to me...........oompa

how many were aware of this?!?!?!

22:23-29)23 "In case there happened to be a virgin girl engaged to a man, and a man actually found her in the city and lay down with her, 24 YOU must also bring them both out to the gate of that city and pelt them with stones, and they must die, the girl for the reason that she did not scream in the city, and the man for the reason that he humiliated the wife of his fellowman. So you must clear away what is evil from your midst. 25 "If, however, it is in the field that the man found the girl who was engaged, and the man grabbed hold of her and lay down with her, the man who lay down with her must also die by himself, 26 and to the girl you must do nothing. The girl has no sin deserving of death, because just as when a man rises up against his fellowman and indeed murders him, even a soul, so it is with this case. 27 For it was in the field that he found her. The girl who was engaged screamed, but there was no one to rescue her. 28 "In case a man finds a girl, a virgin who has not been engaged, and he actually seizes her and lies down with her, and they have been found out, 29 the man who lay down with her must also give the girl’s father fifty silver shekels, and she will become his wife due to the fact that he humiliated her. He will not be allowed to divorce her all his days.

• Borgia
    Borgia

I thought killing was ok as long as it was done to collect Philistine foreskins in order to buy a wife.

Unquote

True! But the biggest question was not posed: was that taken before or after they had taken a leak........

Cheers

Borgia

• Borgia
    Borgia

(Judges 1:19) 19 And Jehovah continued with Judah, so that he took possession of the mountainous region, but he could not dispossess the inhabitants of the low plain, because they had war chariots with iron scythes.

WTF? he blew the Jericho walls to pieces and had all the inhabitants killed..........but all powerful Jehovah was not able to take out war chariots? Well ok......the reprise, then

(Judges 4:13) 13 At once Sis′e·ra called together all his war chariots, the nine hundred war chariots with iron scythes, and all the people that were with him, out of Ha·ro′sheth of the nations to the torrent valley of Ki′shon.

(Judges 4:15) 15 And Jehovah began to throw Sis′e·ra and all his war chariots and all the camp into confusion by the edge of the sword before Ba′rak. . .

Ah yes, Jehovah must have been a little out of practice the first time......because it had been 40 years at least since he last destroyed some chariots........I guess the light is getting brighter.....

Cheers

Borgia

• trevor
    trevor

The Witnesses own Bible had warned about false prophets who speak in the name of Jehovah:

“The prophet who presumes to speak in my name a word that I have not commanded him to speak or who speaks in the name of other gods, that prophet must die. And in case you should say in your heart: “How shall we know the word that Jehovah has not spoken?” when the prophet speaks in the name of Jehovah and the word does not occur or come true, that is the word that Jehovah did not speak. With presumptuousness the prophet spoke it. You must not get frightened at him.” Deuteronomy 18:20-22 – NWT

“Impostors will come claiming to be messiahs or prophets, and they will produce great signs and wonders to mislead even God’s chosen, if such a thing were possible. See, I have forewarned you.” Matthew 24:23-25 - NE

By 1916 it was apparent that the date had not brought the fulfilment of these major prophecies. The book was reprinted with a foreword, which explained:

“This was a natural mistake to fall into, but the Lord overruled it for the blessing of his people. The thought that the church would all be gathered to glory before 1914 certainly did have a stimulating and sanctifying effect upon thousands, all of whom accordingly can praise the Lord – even for the mistake.” Page 1V

To “praise the Lord - even for the mistake” gave the impression that God was in some way involved in the false prophecy which the final paragraph in the book had called “an unquestionable certainty.”

• tmo1965
    tmo1965

outofthebox: does it really say that - my god! somethings wrong there.

That must be the NWT translation. The NIV says:

3 Sorrow is better than laughter,
    because a sad face is good for the heart.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit