What is the most damning scripture in the Bible?

by viva 40 Replies latest watchtower bible

• viva
    viva

For many years, I had serious issues with alot of scriptures. The creation account, the flood, Jonah in the whale, etc. Scriptures that are scientifically falsifiable. For a time I thought some of the religions that didn't insist all scripture were literal were onto something, and then oneday it hit me: 2 Timothy 3:16 says all scripture is inspired of god. Some scriptures are clearly wrong. This realization destroyed my faith in the bible and was one of many steps towards me becoming an athiest.

So what do you think is the most damning scripture in the bible?

• outofthebox
    outofthebox

Ecc 7:3:

3 Better is vexation than laughter, for by the crossness of the face the heart becomes better.

• sacolton
    sacolton

Nothing beats John 1:1 ... a definite article or not?

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

The whole book of Job. It is like God likes to cause people to suffer in order to settle stupid differences from Satan--who I think God used as an excuse to cause Job to suffer for nothing. Create an imaginary Satan, cause the problems, and then blame Satan.

Additionally, I noticed that the real Satan, as described in Genesis, was actually doing his job above and beyond the call of duty. Satan was trying to protect man from a tyranny that God was in the process of creating. And he did that--until that Almighty Sore Loser interfered by causing other problems to reassert His tyranny of mankind. Thus, Satan was the real savior. Notably, Jesus' message (when the mysticism and memory errors were taken away) was almost exactly the same as Satan's.

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

Genesis 1:1 In fact just the first four words are enough to damn the hundreds of thousands that follow. They are the Greatest Lie ever told.

"In the beginning, God . . . "

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free
    2 Timothy 3:16 says all scripture is inspired of god. Some scriptures are clearly wrong.

When I was in high school I had some visions that were "inspired" by LSD. I wouldn't necessarily go around promoting them, even though they made more sense than some of the bible books.

I can't believe I once fell for that circular reasoning, that the bible is inspired because the bible says so.

W

• viva
    viva

I guess 1 John 4:1 is pretty good to - I tested the inspired expressions and they failed.

• inkling
    inkling

Well, I'm sure at some point someone will start citing the flashy/gory verses, but here
    is something more subtle...

The Order of events of the creation of the earth and life on it:

According to Genesis 1, God invents the following things in the following order:

--- light
    --- darkness
    --- heavens/expanse
    --- dry land/sea.
    --- "vegetation, plants yielding seed, and fruit trees..."
    --- sun and moon ("lights in the expanse of the heavens..."
    --- sea creatures and birds.
    --- land animals - wild beasts, livestock and reptiles.
    --- humans
    --- the taking of naps

According to Genesis 2, the order is:

--- Male human
    --- Garden of Eden
    --- Trees
    --- Rivers
    --- Work
    --- Animals
    --- Zoology
    --- Female human
    --- Marriage
    --- Nudity

And now the list according to the fossil record, as written by something known as "reality"

(1) a beginning;
    (2) light;
    (3) sun and stars;
    (4) primitive earth, moon, and atmosphere;
    (5) dry land;
    (6) sea creatures;
    (7) some land plants;
    (8) land creatures and more plants and sea creatures;
    (9) flying creatures (insects) and more plants and land and sea creatures;
    (10) mammals, and more land and sea animals, insects, and plants;
    (11) the first birds,
    (12) fruiting plants (which is what Genesis talks about) and more land, sea, and flying creatures;
    (13) man and more of the various animals and plants.

------------------

It's such a simple thing to get right... The order you summoned things into existence.

The Bible tries twice.
    And is wrong.
    Twice.

[inkling]

• Psychotic Parrot
    Psychotic Parrot

These three when read together are pretty good :)

1 John 4:8 - "God is love."
    1 Corinthians 13:4 - "Love is not jealous."
    Exodus 34:14 - "God, whose name is Jealous, is a jealous God."

• Quirky1
    Quirky1

I agree with Nicolau

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit