Witnesses increase by 44% in 7 years Study Finds: 2001-2008

by Joker10 59 Replies latest jw friends

• jws
    jws

jws....BTW, 1,331,000 wasn't the figure for 1991; it was the figure for 2001. Could you do the same computation for the 7 years between 2001 and 2008?

1,331,000 -> 1,914,000 in 7 years (2001-2008) is 5.33% per year growth.

• alamb
  • rebel8
    rebel8

Am I missing something?

In table 3 it says the miniscule % of the US population that claims to be JW is the same in 2008 as it was in 1990. IOW, kept pace with population growth--the religion is not growing.

The significance for JW teachings is-here's proof it is not fast-growing, even in its home country, ie, litter-ature that claimed it is the fastest growing religion is false.

• besty
    besty

thanks JWS - I stand corrected.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

rebel8....I agree. BTW, those numbers are rounded up; if you look at the actual stats, the proportion has increased very slightly (1990: 7.87%, 2008: 8.38%). But it is really more of a climb from 6.39% in 2001 to 8.38% today. But yeah, hardly much more than keeping up with the US adult population. OTOH since most other religions have had decreases, keeping up with the population is still better than most.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

But yeah, hardly much more than keeping up with the US adult population
    . Could that be from breeding JW`s into the Cult,as opposed to converting people into the JW`s?

Laughing Mutley...OUTLAW

• Free
    Free

Yeah right ! Those numbers are total bullshit. Who is going to check to see if they are true #'s anyway ? That's right NOBODY and nobody cares what the Witlesses do or how many braindeads they have in there Cult. They have and always will be half ass numberologist who will try and control people with fear deception and of course numbers that mean nothing.

• musky
    musky

In my opinion, it doesn't matter whether the witnesses are growing in number or not. What matters is whether their teachings are true and from God. Years ago I heard the argument that the witnesses are small because narrow is the road leading to life. The argument is also used to state that the witnesses numbers are growing because it shows that more and more people are finding the true religion.

• moshe
    moshe

All I can say, is they have only come to my home and talked to me in person 2x during those 17 years ( I moved 5 times) so that 44% increase didn't do them much good. Well, perhaps they don't care about preaching door to door any more. 1 hour a month doesn't allow for much talking or just maybe, that one hour was over the Internet anyway.

• jws
    jws

I would suspect (not based on hard-facts) that the increase is due to immigration. Our immigrant population is growing with most of those coming from Mexico. Many Mexican immigrants are poor people and religious people. The JWs have always done well among people without a lot going for them.

The fact that they are poor also limits their ability to find the truth about JW on the internet.

The terrorist attacks in 2001 also drove a lot of people back to religion, although some of that seems to be fading again now.

All it'll take is a few more doctrinal changes that the masses won't stand up for and we'll see another decline like in the 90's.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit