Witnesses increase by 44% in 7 years Study Finds: 2001-2008

by Joker10 59 Replies latest jw friends

• Joker10
    Joker10

A more detailed look at the just released American Religious Identification Survey (ARIS) shows Witnesses have increased from 1,331,000 in 1991 to 1,914,000in 2008. That is 583,000 more people, or a whopping 43.8 percent growth. They now make up 0.8 percent of the U.S. population.

Who says JWs are in the decline?

(http://b27.cc.trincoll.edu/weblogs/AmericanReligionSurvey-ARIS/reports/ARIS_Report_2008.pdf)

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Who says JWs are in the decline?

I will say it. I hope it's true that their greatest increase is behind them.
    1991 to 2008 is not 7 years, it's 17 years.

Personally, I think the tiny growth of the last few years was foreigners coming
    to the U.S., reduction in hours required to be counted as an active "publisher"
    and the forcing of the younger and younger ones to be "regular publishers."

If not this year, then one year soon- they will have used up all their little games
    of number manipulations and they will have to show a decrease.

• Quirky1
    Quirky1

The numbers are fudged.

• sir82
    sir82

Dude, you of all people should know that there are nowhere near 1.9 million JWs in the US. The Society itself says the number is 1.1 million - that is, before they stopped publishing the monthly reports. And given the fakery admitted on this board and elsewhere regarding field service reports, the actual number is likely smaller than even that.

The poll likely allows self-identification as the criteria to judge whether someone is a JW - which allows hundreds of thousands of disfellowshipped people, who still somehow belive "it's the truth", to call themselves JWs when an anonymous "worldly" pollster asks them.

And weren't you the one criticizing the Pew poll, the one about how 63% of people raised as JWs eventually leave the organization, for having a "too small" polling sample? I suppose that the ARIS folks polled all 1.9 million people, right?

I'll leave it to others to point out other areas of silliness.

Hey, anyone catch the irony? There are (supposedly) 1,914,000 JWs in the US.

• lurk3r
    lurk3r

good catch sir82...awsome catch.

• Georgiegirl
    Georgiegirl

It's all relative. If I have one penny and add one penny to it, I have a 100% increase. If I have 100 pennies and add 1 penny, the numerical increase is the same but the percentage changes dramatically. The number started out low so the percentage looks very impressive. What are the numerical increases for other religions?

• Quirky1
    Quirky1

But, there is a decline in all religion in the US. Many are claiming to have no religion.

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

These numbers don't jibe with my personal experience.

BTS

• Farkel
    Farkel

Wow! Forty three percent in just 17 years!

Wow, wow, wow!

It's sevenTEEN years, not seven years, if you are talking 1991 to 2008, dummy.

That's a whopping 2.5% per year. Yep. Them dubs are really pouring in. Let's see now. In 17 years, how many dubs had kids? Do ya think it might that 2.5% of of dubs might be from dub couples, leaving 97.5% of dubs who are NOT kids? I wonder what religion those kids were raised in? Hmmmmm.

Great job in providing statistics that about ALL new dubs are dub kids!

Farkel

• Quirky1
    Quirky1

Do they put into consideration those who are inactive or have left or are they counted too.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit