Thanks and Who Am I...

by trebor 29 Replies latest jw friends

• BabaYaga
    BabaYaga

Hello and welcome Trebor! We're glad you're here...

and you are so right... yes you made the right choice. You are in the company of thousands of folks who could not live the lie, either. And may I say, I am overjoyed for you that your precious wife left with you! (Hi, Mrs. "Trebor"!)

Love,
    Baba.

(edited to add... this is just amazing, and kudos for those loved ones who still show their love for you... your idea of the book shipped overnight to all concerned is a GREAT idea, worth another mention)

Trebor said ...we put together a mini-book (~60 pages) with a letter explaining everything, and mailed it out next day service overnight
    The reaction to the letter and book to our family was mixed, resulting with my wife's parents listening and ultimately disassociating themselves as Jehovah's Witnesses, while the rest of my family - outside of my father - shunning us. My father “kind of” still talks to us.
  • Quirky1
    Quirky1

Welcome to the board trebor!!

• trebor
    trebor

Snakes - Sorry if I did not make it clear; I actually did not send the elders a letter. Rather I called them and left a voice message reading back an already typed letter (Really a paragraph).

E ssentially, I told them that my wife and I do not believe an organization or belonging to one is necessary for salvation and it is our god-given and legal right to make such a decision. Further, I stated to not visit our home or call us so as to prevent further action to have to be taken on our part. I did not state they were not allowed to write us, although no one has done so.

There are more details including my mother reached out to a long time friend and elder (Delivered both my wedding and my sister’s wedding talk, as well as was our book study overseer for over 15 years) in our former congregation who in turn reached out to the elders in what use to be recent congregation. In fact at one point, my wife, our parents and my siblings all attended the same congregation. Our families have known each other for nearly 20 years.

Baba - Thank you for the compliment on the "book" idea, although credit really has to go to Mrs. Trebor. My original intention was to tell as many of them face to face while having others conference in at the same time. At the time it sounded like a good idea to me, but my wife had the better idea. It was most important to us for all our family to know we love them and wanted everyone to have a fair share at making up their own minds. In fact, one of the first things we stated to everyone is that we loved them and will always be here for them no matter what. I continue to this day with the same invitation that our door is always opened to my loved ones whether they decide to speak to me today, tomorrow, 20 days, months or years from now.

Life goes on, and I understand why they have chosen their path and have shunned my wife and me. I hope one day they will change their minds. Although honestly, the scars are there for the rest of this life no matter what they decide. The hurt and trickery of the Watchtower has caused problems which will more than likely never heal for our family at least for this lifetime.

Everyone, thank you for the encouragement, warm wishes and welcome.

Edit: For grammar.

• quietlyleaving
    quietlyleaving

hi trebor - nice to meet you

ql

• besty
    besty

way to go the Trebors - welcome to JWN

• no more kool aid
    no more kool aid

Wow, what a great story. You and your wife were very brave to out yourselves like that, it will be so much easier having each other. Welcome!

• Dagney
    Dagney

Wow trebor! What a fantastic story.

I relate to several of your points. The change in the blood fraction arrangement didn't add up to me either. After hearing the liason committee's presentation at a service meeting one night, I actually looked up JW's for the very first time on the internet that same night. I saw the "blood reform" site, and it didn't surprise me at all. I knew then times were a changing.

I also have taken the stand that I have a legal right to change my mind, to read a book, to visit a website, whatever. I haven't had an opportunity to use it directly with elders, but would in a heartbeat.

Well done your decision, and I'm so happy your wife and in-laws came along. The treatment is awful, it is evil. You have friends here. Welcome.

• shamus100
    shamus100

Welcome!

Yes, it really is worth all the heartache and pain to get out of the cult.

• independent_tre
    independent_tre

Welcome Trebor, thanks for posting your experience. The influx of newbies gives new life to an already wonderful resource for those leaving the org. Hope to read more of your posts.

• drwtsn32
    drwtsn32

Welcome to the board! Thanks for sharing your story.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit