Why did they end the orchestras?

by Lady Lee 22 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

ozzie thanks for that insight. Yes they hated anyone to have any outside interests. And over the years they have contnually put down any personal hobbies or interests that did not directly impact the preaching work.

I still have to agree with lurk3r that there was a degree of money involved. I can't see the congregations were "given" the records or tapes. I'm sure someone who was an accounts servant knew whether they had to be paid for. The donation arrangement is so new relatively and had the goal of avoiding taxes (as so few JWs knew). Before that is was always "show me the money"

• Sunspot
    Sunspot

Outlaw said" Wow!..Back in the day..Every congregation I visited had a piano and a piano player..I was in the Assembly Orchestra..It was fun as a kid.....Now I hear it`s all canned music..The WBT$ has squeezed the creativity out of almost every aspect,of JW participation in anything.."

And along with Lurk3r's comment on the return of funds FOR these dreadful "Kingdom Melodies".....(and Blondie's actual visual WTS proof) we can get a fairly accurate idea of why the live music was done away with. Back in the early 70's, there was an elderly sister that was going into a nursing home and was giving away her furniture, including an expensive and very beautiful organ that she was donating to the Kingdom Hall. (The piano was VERY old and badly needed tuning all the time).

Her offer was turned down because the music from an organ would have been "too worldly" or sounding too much like EVIL Christendom.....so that she gave it to a young sister (an elder's daughter) that was taking piano lessons. We stuck it out with that old broken down piano until the live music was out of the picture. It really shows how stupid the "WTS thinking" IS and how deeply it's nasty little tentacles reach into the hearts of the WTS devotees.

hugs,

Annie

• VM44
    VM44

"to give real unity"

This is an incorrect use of the word "Unity." The correct word that the writer should have used is "uniformity."

If one had individual musicians throughout the world all striving to play the "same" music, that might indicate a display of "unity" on their part.

Simply putting a tape into an inanimate machine to play pre-recorded music shows no "unity" on the part of anyone. There result will simply be "uniformity" in the music played.

The Watchtower writer simply wanted to use the word "Unity" where is was not appropriate to use.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit