Why did they end the orchestras?

by Lady Lee 22 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

It used to be so nice to listen to the orchestras at the circuit and district conventions. Then they ended it and I know I missed it. We had a couple of youn men in our cong who were in the orchestra. I often wonder how they felt about losing their "jobs"

A lurker here, who is waiting to be able to post asked me the question. I didn't know but through out a couple of ideas and came up with one that might be plausable. My response was:

The orchestra ending me always bothered me. It was so nice. I agree that money wouldn't have been a factor. I'm omly guessing but perhaps some circuits didn't have the people to play and so orchestra members were being asked to go to other circuits. Perhaps there was jealousy over the circuits and districts so they just ended it everywhere. Or perhaps they ended it simply because they discovered they could not make money from it. Hmmmm now there is a thought. It was after the orchestras ended that they started with the records amd later tapes at meetings and selling them to JWs -- something they COULD make money with. Yah that sounds like it might very well be the real deal. another money grab. No reason for an orchestra when there was piped in music. One way or another money winds up being at the bottom of many decisions.

I love brainstorn=ming. You never know where it will take you.

So my question to anyone who might know:

Why did they stop the orchestras?

• Quirky1
    Quirky1

They couldn't play subliminal messages..

• only me
    only me

I used to play in the orchestras at both circuit and district assemblies when I was younger. We were told that there would be no more orchestras because it was taking up too much of our time practising that could be better used for other things (read field service)

They also said it wasn't proper for us to play our own arrangements of the Society's music.

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

yup

get out and sell sell sell

and the always popular

We must control the masses

• quietlyleaving
    quietlyleaving

I remember and enjoyed those musical arrangements

• blondie
    blondie

Yes, that edict at the KH, circuit and district level occurred about the time cassettes came out with the WTS songs. I was also told that the number of "qualified" musicians was on a decrease and many congregations did not have piano players.

About 6 months after this I attended a circuit assembly out by Wallkill, and a Bethel brother trotted out and played the grand piano, very, very badly, one of the worst players I had ever heard. I guess the rules applied differently.

*** km 4/78 p. 6 par. 1 "Victorious Faith" International Convention of Jehovah’s Witnesses ***

MUSIC: Special music for the interludes and for audience singing is being prepared by the Society with the aid of many brothers throughout the country who are talented musicians. This means that there will be no live orchestras this year, but the specially prepared music will be presented by tape to give real unity to this important feature of the program at all the international conventions.

*** w77 6/1 pp. 343-344 Making Melody to Jehovah with Instrumental Music ***

Coming now down to our day, what about the use of instrumental music to accompany the singing at larger assemblies? A spirit of a sound mind would dictate that extremes be avoided. Instrumental music wellplayed is an encouragement to congregation singing and beautifies the praise rendered to Jehovah. But where good musicians are lacking, it would be well to use the recordings provided by the Watchtower Society.

An orchestra is usually taken for granted at the larger assemblies, to accompany the singing and to furnish a brief program before the various sessions. But as for orchestras and choruses, it seems that a word of caution is advisable. They both involve many persons, and rehearsals take up much time. Also, if the chorus uses microphones when the conventioners are singing, or if the orchestra is too loud, this tends to overshadow the singing by the audience. It would seem best, therefore, to limit the use of an orchestra or a chorus, if used at all, to the larger assemblies.

With music, as with everything else that we do to God’s glory, balance is desirable. Instrumental music, aside from accompanying the singing, is really incidental, although it does add to the festiveness of the assembly, even as does a beautifully arranged platform. But often the tendency of those in charge of music is to go to extremes, to go "overboard," as it were. Most fitting, therefore, is the counsel given at Psalm 47:6, 7: "Make melody to God, make melody. Make melody to our King, make melody. For God is King of all the earth; make melody, actingwithdiscretion."

It seems that some could do better in heeding this counsel. At times needless liberties have been taken with the melodic line and with the tempos, thus doing violence to the sentiments expressed by the words. In fact, it is confusing and contrary to the spirit of a Christian assembly to "jazz up" or otherwise take liberties with the simple, expressive melodies that customarily are sung. It would seem that there is ample opportunity for originality and inventiveness and musical inspiration within the limits of the sentiments of the words that are inseparably wedded to the musical themes. Talented arrangers can tend to overarrange, bringing in subtle effects in modulations and dynamics that most likely are lost on all save a few musically knowledgeable listeners who take the time and pains to listen attentively. Also, it might be questioned whether an individual with musical talent might not wisely limit his enthusiasm and pleasure in arranging programs, so as not to let this encroach too much on his personal study, public witnessing and shepherding privileges.

Of course, music must be taken seriously to make it worth listening to. But if taken too seriously, quite likely there will be some spiritual loss. Instrumental music cannot take the place of personal study or public witnessing, nor should one’s enjoyment of a district assembly be based chiefly on the pleasure of playing in an orchestra. An individual who for many years made arrangements for and conducted the music at large assemblies stated that only afterward did he realize how much his musical activity had cut down on his benefiting spiritually from these assemblies. By keeping balance, such loss can be minimized.

• Scarred for life
    Scarred for life

Oh no, we wouldn't want anyone to use their minds or creativity or enjoy art. They might cease being robots and become thinking, questioning, intelligent people.

I didn't know about this. This happened after I left. But I can't say I'm surprised. It's all about mind-control.

• mouthy
    mouthy

Why did they stop the orchestras?

Well I hate to have to tell you this But I complained to the

Curcuit Servant ....that it was very worldly .... I thought it made
    us look as though we were joining the world ....

You may NOW all stone me.

• frozen one
    frozen one

I played in the circuit orchestra a few times back in the day. The hall I grew up in had a piano and a couple of piano players. While both had real talent, one was awesome. And no matter which one was playing, the congregation sang their hearts out. Then Mother said "no live music, pre-recorded more Godly" or some such crap so the keyboard cover was closed and the tapes rolled. The congregation didn't sing with nearly the gusto as before.

• no more kool aid
    no more kool aid

I agree with Scarred for Life, the orchestra probably bring too much attention to the individual, we are all supposed to be robot drones. Who is going to be in the orchestra anyway? Who has time to become an accomplished anything? Those people that used to be in the orchestra were probably not raised in the truth and had time for music lessons as children.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit