What books have shaped your affected you?

by Eyebrow 39 Replies latest jw friends

• Eyebrow
    Eyebrow

In another post I mentioned Job A Comedy of Justice by Robert Heinlien. The responses to the post got me thinking about other books that have affected me.

What books have had an impact on your life? Ones that have made you think about something a new way, helped you made a decision, things like that?

Here are a few that have had a great impact on me:
    (not necessarily in this order)

1. Crooked House by Agatha Christie
    read when I was 10 it introduced me to mysteries and the evil side of people. Got me hooked on mysteries in general.

2. Dandelion Wine by Ray Bradbury
    Read in high school for class, opened my eyes to appreciate childhood memories. (also got me to read his other works...good stuff!)
    3. The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath
    A great story of surving depression...also very funny. Yeah, she killed herself several years later, but this is still a great book.

4. Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams
    If I had not read this book I may have never met my husband...long story =)

5. Job Comedy of Justice
    Read 3 years ago about 6 months after I stopped going to meetings. Made me really think about how others in other religions may view things. And how some religions are just kinda cruel hahaha.

6. My Book of Bible Stories
    I think there are only a few stories in here that a non JW may find off center. I was about 7 or 8 when this book came out and it really helped me to get a good idea of what is in the bible. It may be flawed, but I still think it is one of the better children's bible books out there.

I am a real book nerd so I could list more, but those 5 above have had real impact on my life in some little, and not so little ways.
    But I don't want to make this post so long no one responds!

• mindfield
    mindfield

Greetings, fellow book nerd! I have searched and searched for a fellow nerd to share my book opinions with! Sadly, most of my reading revolves around
    1. Stephen King
    2. Mr. King
    3. Did I mention Stephen King?

But really, his books did have a slight impact... I now can only read his books... noone else compares!

I'm reading C of C right now, thanx to lilacs, and it is having an impact. I now can understand, without the shadow of a doubt, that JW isn't the troof, whatever you want to call it.

• Will Power
    Will Power

Hi
    I'm a book nerd/lover too

1. Crisis of Conscience, Ray Franz

2. The Battle for God, Karen Armstrong

3. City of God, St. Augustine (400 ad)

4. 1984, Orwell

5. The Masks of God & Myths to Live By, Joseph Campbell

5. Can Man be Good Without God, Toronto Doctor, forget his name & I've lent out the book & cannot check, sorry.

• Eyebrow
    Eyebrow

Ahhhh...Stephen King....I loved Delores Clayborn, The DarkHalf, Different Seasons...I have read a few others. I have be trying to read Gerald's Game for the last two years but have not been able to get past the dog eating Gerald, haahhaa.

Clive Barker is good too!

• mindfield
    mindfield

Yoohoo! a fellow king reader!

I have yet to read a Clive Barker book, though... i'll have to read one someday..

I played his game though... "Clive Barker's undying" real good action game.

• Will Power
    Will Power

Oh, and I loved Forrest Gump
    It was a laugh out loud thing.
    Read it before I saw the movie.

• larc
    larc

The book that "shaped" me the most was, The World's Greatest Candy Recipes.

• conflicted
    conflicted

'The Celestine Prophesy' was very enlightening and thought provoking, unfortunately I can't remember the author right now.

Since y'all brought up King, I'll have to say 'Insomnia'. I loved that book - all three times I read it.

'Shogun' by James Clavel and 'Battlefield Earth' by L. Ron Hubbard are both good reads - I wouldn't say they changed my life, but both of them are excelent stories.

• LB
    LB

The Last Dive by Bernie Chowdhury. It's about extreme diving and it renewed my love for diving.

• Eyebrow
    Eyebrow

Wow....I just realize my blunder in naming this post....I need to spend less time typing while nursing, hhahaha!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit