What books have shaped your affected you?

by Eyebrow 39 Replies latest jw friends

• mindfield
    mindfield

THat's okay, eyebrow... we've all made a typo while nursing before...

Right?

• kenny2
    kenny2

Anything by Dave Barry. He has a way of putting the simplest things into perspective for me.

• AMarie
    AMarie

I have to agree with conficted on the "Celestine Prophecy". I have the book at home but can't remember the author either. Although it is a fictional book, it did impact my view of spirituality. The whole idea of the book was that God is all around us, in nature, in our hearts. It mildly mock's organized religion.

Another was "Memoirs of a Geisha". Unfortunately, I can't remember the author of this one either, but it is an excellent story. Once I picked it up, I couldn't put it down.

Last but not least is "White Oleander" by Janet Fitch. Excellent plot. The main characted goes through the most horrible things possible and instead of feeling helpless, she finds strength within that she didn't know she had. She ultimately learns that happiness lies within yourself and comes out a winner in the end. I strongly recommend this book.

AMArie

• Angharad
    Angharad

Conflicted - have to agree, I've not read many Stephen King books but I really enjoyed Insomnia, also the Green Mile.

I like reading Dean Koontz, cant wait for his new book out this month, and also Patrica Cornwell.

• proplog2
    proplog2

Science and Sanity Alfred Korzybski

• Satanus
    Satanus

Books that have changed me?

COC by ray franz
    The flood by alan feuerbacher
    Is it god word by joseph wheless
    Far journeys, journeys out of body, ultimate journey by robert monroe

• Andee
    Andee

I'm an Anne Rule fan. She writes true crime novels. Her first novel was A Stranger Beside Me. It was her experience working with Ted Bundy at a suicide hotline.

The subjects she writes about are very gruesome. I like the way she makes is able to take the situation, the facts, and the individuals involved, and make it a completely engrossing story.

I'm also a big Jane Austen fan. I love her observations and satire of late 18th century life in country England.

Andee

• wonderwoman77
    wonderwoman77

Wow, what a deep question...books that have impacted me. Well here are some of them...Catcher in the Rye, The Great Gatsby, She's Come Undone, Summer Sisters, and Tiger Eyes. I love to read, I have not been able to in a while, I hope to read some good books while I have a break from school....

• Francois
    Francois

Hmmmm. What a question for book nerds! I'd have to say:

The Urantia Book
    The Tao Te Ching
    The True Believer
    Walden

Crisis of Conscience was excellent, however it just confirmed my suspicions. The others taught me things I didn't know.

Maybe even in that order

Francois

• Mr Ben
    Mr Ben

I truly would not know where to start about book that have influenced me. But if you love fiction/horror/sci fi & you want something with a book of Revelation twist, definitely try, "Nightfall" by Isaac Assimov.

If you like it, he wrote a few more to keep you going.

Religion n.
    An organisation designed to promote atheism.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit