When was the last NWT revision released?

by VM44 24 Replies latest watchtower bible

• moggy lover
    moggy lover

In 2007 the latest edition of the NW "T"was released as a paperback.

Some minor changes were made as mentioned by posters above. For instance the regular edition says of Col 1:16 "By means of him all [other] things were created" While the latest edition says: "By means of him all other things have been created" with the brackets removed. The same holds for 1:17 twice.

In this the Watchtower leadership has gone back to "old light" because the original 1950 edition of the NW "T" did not place brackets in these verses.

• TheOldHippie
    TheOldHippie

Not true!

Col. 1:16 latest edition reads "He is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of all creation; 16 because by means of him all [other] things were created in the heavens and upon the earth, the things visible and the things invisible, no matter whether they are thrones or lordships or governments or authorities. All [other] things have been created through him and for him. 17 Also, he is before all [other] things and by means of him all [other] things were made to exist, "

• passwordprotected
    passwordprotected

@ Old Hippie. Incorrect. The recently published soft cover NWT no longer prints the brackets.

• civicsi00
    civicsi00

Word has it that they didn't print the brackets the latest edition cuz the funds weren't there for the ink.

• My Struggle
    My Struggle

I have a paperback and it has no brackets.

Though the online version still contains the brackets. Odd.

• TheOldHippie
    TheOldHippie

I've got the latest black small size softcover version, 2006 printing, 132 millions, English, printed in Germany, it has brackets.

I've got the latest red/maroon small size softcover version, no date, 143 millions, English, printed in Germany, it has brackets.

I've got the latest black ordinary size softcover version, no date, 114 millions, English, printed in Germany, it has brackets.

So please tell me - how can you say what I say is not true?

• TheOldHippie
    TheOldHippie

I might add - to myself and others - that in other languages, such as in my mother tongue, there are no brackets, and there have never been any in any previous editions, either.

• blondie
    blondie

I checked the 2007 WT-CD and Col 1:16 has brackets still. What I have never found is an explanation of what the brackets mean officially as to their validity as to the bible.

• blondie
    blondie

The New World translators' use of brackets to clarify meaning is controversial as well. The Kingdom Interlinear Translation explains that brackets indicate that "the word or words enclosed have been inserted by the translator to make some application that is shown by the Greek word or to show something that is understood along with the Greek word because of its grammatical form." {1} For example, Colossians 1:16-17 reads:

Because by means of him all [other] things were created in the heavens and upon the earth, the things visible and the things invisible, no matter whether they are thrones or lordships or governments or authorities. All [other] things have been created through him and for him. Also, he is before all [other] things and by means of him all [other] things were made to exist.

http://www.religionfacts.com/jehovahs_witnesses/texts.htm

*** Rbi8 p. 7 Introduction ***

BRACKETS: Single brackets [ ] enclose words inserted to complete the sense in the English text.

• Morgana
    Morgana

In the NWT 1994 edition on page 1547 (bottom) it says:

[ ] Brackets enclose words inserted to complete the sense in the English text; [[ ]] suggest interpolation in original text.

This edition has Col 1:16-17 with brackets.

In the NWT 2006 edition on page 1549 (bottom) the first part is missing; it now only says:

[[ ]] Double brackets suggest interpolation in original text.

This edition has Col 1:16-17 without brackets (pages 1469, 1470).

The current (2008) Watchtower Library uses New World Translation Reference Bible (1984) (same as previous version 2007; with brackets).

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit