Beat to Hell.......were you as a child as a JW?

by restrangled 39 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• White Dove
    White Dove

I was the kind of child who just needed a look and I'd behave. I was beat with the belt and so was my sister who only needed a look as well. Hitting a child at all is wrong.

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

When I was a kid spanking was acceptable and, as a spanked kid, I have no complaints about my treatment.

My kids were spanked and they remember every occasion and wether or not it was deserved.... as I do with my parents.

Sometimes my kids tell me that I spanked them undeservedly and I accept that. We all make mistakes.

I don't think that anyone in my immediate family would describe themselves as 'beaten'.

I will be contacting other members of my extended family in the near future. I suspect that some of them have been playing their cards pretty close to their chest.

I really do regret getting paranoid when a wonderful cousin of mine spotted me tying to extract an earing that was only ever designed to go IN.

She spotted me trying to remove it on the way to a family reunion. I had designed it not to come out and it was well designed.

She asked me questions that alerted me that she was not a fully fledged JW, but I was still a victim

I know that there will be some event that will bring our family together soon. It may be a death, but who cares.

I want to hold her in my arms and tell her I am not a JW. I know that she will still love me.

• White Dove
    White Dove

Jim_TX,

Being under pressure to provide is no excuse for hurting a child. It may be a reason, but certainly is no excuse.

• rebel8
    rebel8

Lady, I think you're totally right.

Nikki, WTH???? Your mother was a sadist. I thank FSM you got away from all that.

Was there really a Kindumb Melody that sung about the rod? That is horrid. Does anyone have the lyrics?

• Nowman
    Nowman

Rebel,

Yes, there was a song with the chorus line of "he says use the rod", it was one of those songs after a talk on young people. I hope someone can get the title from the "brown colored" song book? I used to call my mom Mommy Dearest (remember the movie?) mostly silently. There was one time I made a joke about it to my mom, where she was scolding me for something, and I said Yes, mommy dearest. She went ballistic on me, I think I was 7-8 years old. I never called her that again, she was very against being called even "mother", she only wanted mom or mommy.

I rarely speak to her anymore these days, she is not mentally well, but when she calls me, and I am 35 years old on 3/8, she says, "hi Nik, its mommy"! Gives me the creeps.

Such a sad thread, I feel for all who have gone through it!

Nikki

• restrangled
    restrangled

So many abused physically or mentally....thank you all for replying...my heart goes out to all of you...especially outlaw...good god beating a baby!

I guess the best we can do is not repeat the abuse with our own darling children. I was a firm believer in spanking, at aged 17. I moved in with an older cousin and she had 3 kids. She made it clear to me her children would never be spanked...a full JW relative that had left the organization. (mid 1970s)

There was never any need for spanks except one time. I went to a mall in charge of her 2 year old....He was a real sweet heart. He was not allowed sweets.....in my care, we passed a big icecream cone place....I was under strict instructions.....no sugar.

This little fellow threw himself to the floor in front of the place screaming because I said no. No amount of talking made a difference. I picked him up off the floor and gave him a good swat on his bum. I felt so guilty but it did the trick and his mother in the end said good job!

First and last swat he got, and my own boys were never hit, unless they could fight back.....Twice they received "swats" by me, For back talk...after that ....they were older and laughed as I did it. Yep, Mom tried to give them a swat....they were strong enough to grab my arm and we all wound up laughing!!!!!!

The most important thing is that future parents do not beat their children, in the hall, for failures, for mistakes, FOR ACTING LIKE CHILDREN.

R.

• mostlydead
    mostlydead

I nearly didn't read this thread because this is horribly difficult subject for me. And even though my blood boils for each of you who told your experiences, it's good to know that I'm not just overly sensitive as I've been told and thought I was.

Anti-Christ, what you did is what I've wanted to do to every abuser in every kingdom hall I've ever been associated with. I've had to leave the hall on occasion because I felt that violent toward them. I'm very sorry this happened to you and your siblings, but I'm very proud of the way you ended it.

• cameo-d
    cameo-d

Didn't you silently wonder why none of your neighbors or bystanders came to help you or to call the police?

Didn't you think you had yelled loud enough for someone to hear you?

Didn't you ever wonder why, even as a child, if god was so good, that someone didn't rescue you?

• restrangled
    restrangled

Mostly dead, I am so glad you read this thread. It is difficult to watch abuse in an environment that does not allow response by others. I think most of us as JW's watched kids get abused while we sat at meetings, assemblies etc......Some of it was so ugly, it was unbelievable...but it was all in the name of keeping children in line in the name of the WTBS.

I hope those reading this now have the ability to call 911 on their cell phones in their KH's if they ever witnessed what we did during the 70's through the 2000's. Some of what I saw and heard was unbelievable..... including a huge wood paddle hung on the back of the door of the women's wash room in the KH I grew up in.

Thanks to all for responding...I think it is important that anyone still involved get this message.

• Sea Breeze
    Sea Breeze

I got beat with a belt by both parents once. Mom wasn't doing a good enough job with the beating so Dad took over. What for? The sin of walking silly with my 12 yr. old friend at a convention when I was supposed to be in my seat. They were going to make sure I got life if they had to kill me to do it.... or something like that.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit