Skeptic vs. Creationist

by leavingwt 41 Replies latest members adult

• leavingwt
    leavingwt
    "SPEED OF LIGHT!"

To which he or she will respond. . .

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Even better is the (seven part) interview/debate between Richard Dawkins and Wendy Wright

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFjoEgYOgRo

• garyneal
    garyneal

Please enlighten us, BTS. What does "SPEED OF LIGHT!" have to do with the age of the Earth?

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    Please enlighten us, BTS. What does "SPEED OF LIGHT!" have to do with the age of the Earth?

http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/watchtower/beliefs/192529/1/For-Perry-the-most-distant-known-object-in-the-Universe

BTS

• garyneal
    garyneal

I see the discrepency here, your speaking of the age of the UNIVERSE in that thread whereas I thought you were speaking of the age of the EARTH in this one. I got it now.

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

bttt for new folks

This video is worth the 30 minutes. The topic at hand aside, thisinteraction reminds me of speaking with a JW about any topic. Facts are rendered helpless, when confronted with the power of belief (and dogmatism).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_CLIGJW6Ic

• agonus
    agonus

I'm no creationist but I believe Shermer and Randi and their ilk represent not true skepticism but a form of knee-jerk reductionist pathological disbelief that is just as fringe in its worldview and audience as the Alex Jones types on the opposite end of the spectrum. From what I understand there are a disturbing number of Bill Nyes who just so happen to come from a military or government intelligence background.

Everybody's got an agenda. But once you can admit it you can finally start building bridges.

• agonus
    agonus

Those guys make a VERY comfortable living promoting an uber-rationalist/materialist worldview by the priesthood of scientism.

And don't get me started on "We am ardent loud atheist, that mean we be expert on every topic" Penn and Teller..

• leavingwt
    leavingwt
    I'm no creationist but I believe Shermer and Randi and their ilk represent not true skepticism but a form of knee-jerk reductionist pathological disbelief that is just as fringe in its worldview and audience as the Alex Jones types on the opposite end of the spectrum.

Agonus: Was there anything in this video to support your assertions about Shermer? Additionally, please give an example of someone you'd be comfortable referring to as a "true skeptic".

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    I'm no creationist but I believe Shermer and Randi and their ilk represent not true skepticism but a form of knee-jerk reductionist pathological disbelief

*sigh*

I grudgingly have to agree with this just a tiny little bit. But only a little bit.

I think there are some things that they have attempted to debunk that still "stick," at least in my mind. Anything seems like magic if we haven't figured out the mechanism. Back in the late middle ages, compasses were kept hidden by mariners, because they were considered witchcraft. How could that needle always know where north was? No one had discovered that the Earth had a magnetic field, or the principles of magnetism. The name for compass in Spanish is "brujula"...which derives from the word for witch, "bruja." Magic!

Clarke's 3rd law:

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.

BTS

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit