Skeptic vs. Creationist

by leavingwt 41 Replies latest members adult

• besty
    besty

LOL

what made me shake my head in total disbelief was when she accused Shermer of confirmation bias - "you believe the earth is 4.5 billion years old so you are starting from the wrong premise"

yet when Shermer called her on that same bias she replied "yes but God said it so we know we are right"

appeal to authority fallacy

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

I watched this yesterday and was just amazed to see this spectacle of such an intelligent, educated, and articulate person employ such obviously presuppositionist and pseudoscientific reasoning. One of best bits was when she used the theology of the Fall to construct a purportedly scientific theory of the origin of harmful microorganisms. And if that wasn't enough, she then went so far as to use Hebrews 1:3 ("the Son ... sustains all things by the word of his power") to interpret the story of the Fall in Genesis 3 in order to speculate on the mechanism through which the development of harmful forms of life occurred. And this was after insisting that she doesn't interpret the Bible at all and after she rejected (correctly imo) Shermer's use of another NT text (2 Peter 3) to interpret Genesis 1. And yet all this biblical interpretation is just a natural and normal part of her "science". Just amazing to watch her mind work and navigate around the pitfalls in her rhetoric.

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

"You don't use Greek to interpret the Hebrew."

I almost fell out of my chair on that one. First time I had ever heard anyone say that.

-LWT

• Goshawk
    Goshawk

Lots of bad data thrown out as factual without supporting evidence as well.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

The video is gone. I'm glad I saved this!

• drwtsn32
    drwtsn32

It must be preserved! Can you post it to youtube? I think it might be too long though...

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Yeah I think it is too long. I can email it to you though if you want it.

• hamsterbait
    hamsterbait

leo -

can you send it to me too - you have my email, luv!!

HB

• drwtsn32
    drwtsn32

Yes please! My email is [email protected].

• drwtsn32
    drwtsn32

oops, double post

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit