Article: The Atheist's Dilemma

by BurnTheShips 150 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    Confirmation bias, anyone?

It is, and that knife cuts both ways. Read the article carefully, the author is comparing some Atheists to Christians in this respect.

I have a dilemma for you , what if an entity did talk to you and said it was God how can you be sure it's true? How can God prove itself to us? That for me is the question not that it God actually exist or not, if there is a God how can we be sure the entity in front of us is really God?

How do I know you are not a figment of my imagination? Seriously.

I seems to me that all that pure empirical Reason alone can lead us to is agnosticism. Atheism and Theism are both acts of faith.

BTS

• Twitch
    Twitch

Atheism and Theism are both acts of faith.

Agreed

• hamilcarr
    hamilcarr

Agreed

So believing something invisible doesn't exist is faith? Doesn't that discredit faith? Or are we talking about a different definition of atheism?

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

Is not believing in the Tooth Fairy an act of faith?

• Mickey mouse
    Mickey mouse
    Is not believing in the Tooth Fairy an act of faith?

I would define it as "an act of keeping the peace" when one has children.

• IP_SEC
    IP_SEC

Atheism is not an act of faith. It is an act of reason. Dawkin Anti-theism is the same act of faith as Theism.

Theism= Not only do I believe you've a 9" cock but also that you used it to create the universe.

Atheism= I do not believe you have a 9" cock unless you show it to me

Agnosticism= So what you have a 9" cock. Its not about the size. Its about how you use it

Anti-theism= Not only do you not have a 9"... you have no cock at all even though you are of male gender.

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

IP:

Thank you for breaking it down, with great humor to boot!

-LWT

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

IPpers can do better than that! 10"!

• PrimateDave
    PrimateDave
    After all, a genuine atheist must interpret such an event as a temporarily inexplicable hallucination, or a sudden psychotic break, or a clever technological trick - in short, as anything but evidence that atheism is false.

Let me see. I have a relative who is convinced that Holy Spirit has chosen him as one of the Anointed. Furthermore, this relative claims he has heard and seen the effects of demon activity. In most any other way I completely trust this relative. His conclusions are supernatural and based on the broad Western cultural belief in Christianity, the Bible, and more specifically in the teachings of the Watchtower Society. Does that make Jehovah's Witnesses the true religion after all? How can I help but to conclude that he has simply experienced hallucinations due to unknown causes, possibly sleep disorders and waking dreams. Some experts in meditation can develop abilities in lucid dreaming, waking dreams, "astral projection," and other feats of mental control. Many religious people around the world from diverse cultural backgrounds have used such meditation techniques to experience "the divine." Should one believe their experiences, then "the divine" is certainly a-religious. Then there are those who approach these same techniques and results from a secular standpoint and believe that the mind can alter its perception of reality due to meditative training, the use of certain drugs, or as a result of mental illness.

Dave

• drwtsn32
    drwtsn32
    IPpers can do better than that! 10"!

BTS, you measured yourself from the wrong end of the ruler.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit