What is the general "mood" these days of Dubs at meetings and assemblies?

by Alpaca 20 Replies latest jw friends

• Alpaca
    Alpaca

I haven't been inside a Kingdom Hall since 1998. Back then, the change in the 1914 "generation" teaching was still sinking in and the "mood" then was one of confusion and head-scratching about what it all meant.

It is difficult for me to imagine how the "mood" now could be anything other than one of disappointment and doubt...even if it is not openly expressed.

Do you think at some point there will be critical mass of doubts (and doubters) that will just start spilling out when Dubs realize that others around them feel the same way?

• sir82
    sir82

Of course every area, heck every congregation, is different, but in general, it seems to be "autopilot" - business as usual.

The more spastic ones are all hyped up on how the current economic mess is a sign we are "deep in the last days", but for most, it is just the typical routine.

Of late, field service activity seems to have diminshed a bit - don't know if that is due to winter weather, winter illnesses, economic hardships, or something else.

• White Dove
    White Dove

You should have seen my grandmother's face when she mentioned how maybe the end is not as close as we once thought. It was heartbreaking. She is now of the oldest of old people, still clinging to the "truth."

• Mickey mouse
    Mickey mouse

I was going to start a thread myself on this subject.

Since I am mentally out but physically in I spend some time observing people's body language and demeanour at the hall every week. I have to tell you that 95% of the youngsters look bored out of their minds. There are maybe 15-20% of the congregation who are still hardcore but in many cases their enthusiasm is wearing off.

I think a tipping point will be reached but the way I see it that won't come for another twenty years. The big problem I foresee is a complete lack of younger men interested in taking the reins from the 60+ age group of elders. If the congregations lack leadership, it's only a matter of time before things start to really fall apart.

• Alpaca
    Alpaca

It really is sad seeing that look of despair on the faces of older ones who pinned all of their hopes and dreams on the promises of the BORG.

My ex mother-in-law spent her whole life living for the "new system" and by the time I left it was apparent that she was having serious doubts. In some very rare moments she would let her heart spill....

That was one of a number of things that prompted me to make up mind and leave.

• jws
    jws

The JWs are good at making you feel guilty for anything you do or think that's "wrong". This board has been so enlightening. There's a feeling of "oh, it wasn't just me". If the JWs realized those around them felt the same way, it would build solidarity and get them talking amongst each other and sharing what they know. And then it's only time.

I personally think in about 6 years there should be a big decline. When 2014 has come and gone and we've reached the 100 year milestone since 1914, that's going to disappoint a lot of people. 100 years is a long time to get your head around when the end was supposed to be so close.

Of course, they could dump 1914 for the lie they know it is. But that'd be an even bigger blow to the rank-and-file. Like you say, years after the generational change, people were still dazed. So I think they'd rather let it ride and take their losses in 2015 and try to pick up the pieces.

• WingCommander
    WingCommander

I wonder about this myself sometimes. I haven't been to any meeting in a year, and I only attend about 3-4 a year since 1998.

The general mood that I see is one of despair, and an overall "look" of exhaustion. These people have for the most part been run ragged. I know of other JW's that I graduated high school with and when I run into them at the mall or something they look nearly 40 and exhausted. Of course, having no education and no real career sure makes people have to work extra hard, plus all of the meetings, FS, etc. What a hamster wheel way to live!!

Your comments about the late 90's still ring true today I believe. That look of confusion or that they are somehow trying to figure things out is still there. Imagine.....going back in Dr. Brown's DeLorean time machine to the year 1984, and telling your younger self or family (I was only 5 at the time) that you were from the year 2009, and the New Order still had not come!! No one would be able to comprehend such a thing....time going on in this "System of Things" for another 25 years? It would be unfathonable, and if you had made such a prediction back then you would have been labeled an apostate since the generation of 1914 was really getting up in years!! This is why the bound volume for 1984 is so priceless to me. There are like 3 WT's right in a row dealing with the 1914 generation, prophecy, etc. This was all "truth", and now it is basically old bird liner. Every time I hear someone talk about New Light and prophecy, I just pick up that bound volume and ask, "what about this truth?" Guess it wasn't true, huh?

I couldn't imagine how it must be living as a JW right now. There really is no expectation of anything right now, except more labour at your janitorial job, and seemily endless field service. (if you are into that even) I have several JW families that live in my development. Their houses are the most unkept, hoggish, run down houses in the entire neighbourhood. They are socially retarded, completely isolated, and total recluses. I am 100% serious..... the only reason the Elder father and his family can even afford to live in our neighbourhood is because he works like a mad-man to provide. Community yardsale? Forget about it....their blinds are shut 24/7, 356 days a year. Strange is an understatement. They are actually palid from not getting enough sun......think Addams family here. Most of the other JW families are just a wack. They have children, and I pity them all, as I was raised in this religion.

- Wing Commander

• sir82
    sir82
    The big problem I foresee is a complete lack of younger men interested in taking the reins from the 60+ age group of elders.

Yeppers.

Here is the breakdown in our congregation:

Males 60+: 6 total, 4 elders, 1 MS (% that are "servants" - 83%)

Males 50 - 59: 8 total, 5 elders, 1 MS (% that are "servants" - 75%)

Males 40-49: 3 total, 2 elders (% that are "servants"- 67%)

Males 30-39: 13 total, 1 elder, 5 MS (% that are "servants" - 46%)

Males 18-29: 8 total, 2 MS (% that are "servants" - 25%)

Notice how those percentages drop the younger you go? I suspect that is quite typical in many congregations.

We just recently had a spate of new appointments read out to the congregation. That's likely pretty much going to be it for a long time. Nobody else is evidently "reaching out" - unless someone moves in, I don't see any new appointments here for at least 2 or 3 years.

• Alpaca
    Alpaca

Speaking of younger men willing to take on responsibility...

When I left 12 years ago younger men were being regularly appointed. However, the willingness to take on responsibility was not always accompanied by conmensurate intelligence. I could be wrong but I suspect that the BORG has also been experiencing some fairly significant brain drain.

As I've said before on other threads, back in the 50s, 60s, and 70s the BORG did attract some fairly smart people. That's done as far as I can tell. The caliber of people who buy into the BORG's BS is probably at an all time low and declining.

• watson
    watson

Since 1976, for some reason, we have been encouraged to "not tire out!" Think long distance runner here....... That in itself has worn many down. As mentioned on another thread, it's the constant reminder that the end is just around the corner. It naturally wears people out. Put that with aging, postponed plans, and "new" truths, it can make for a pretty discouraged lot.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit