Doesn't this quote ring a bell?

by WingCommander 23 Replies latest jw friends

• WingCommander
    WingCommander

"When our own thoughts are forbidden, when our questions are not allowed and our doubts are punished, when contacts and friendships outside of the organization are censored, we are being abused for an end that never justifies its means. When our heart aches knowing we have made friendships and secret attachments that will be forever forbidden if we leave, we are in danger. When we consider staying in a group because we cannot bear the loss, disappointment and sorrow our leaving will cause for ourselves and those we have come to love, we are in a cult."

Deborah Layton, Jonestown survivor. (Jim Jones; People’s Temple)

Truer words were never spoken. Imagine showing this to a JW right after they claim, "Oh, were not a Cult!"

- Wing Commander

• Anti-Christ
    Anti-Christ

Yea sounds familiar but at the same time you know the response we will get showing this to a JW still it won't stop me from showing it.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Watchtower, October 1, 1967p.587par.9

Finding Freedom with Jehovah’s Visible Organization

Thus the Bible is an organizational book and belongs to the Christian congregation as an organization, not to individuals, regardless of how sincerely they may believe that they can interpret the Bible. For this reason the Bible cannot be properly understood without Jehovah’s visible organization in mind.

Jehovah’s Witnesses are trained never to rely upon the Bible by itself, but to seek the guidance of the organization’s input on every teaching.

Watchtower, Feb. 1, 1984 , p. 19:

"A third factor that unites us is that all of us benefit from the same spiritual feeding program. We recognize “the faithful and discreet slave” as the agency that Jehovah is using to provide spiritual food at the proper time. (Matthew 24:45-47) There is no question in our mind that this “slave” is made up of spirit-anointed heirs of the heavenly Kingdom who are found today only among Jehovah’s Witnesses. We appreciate what that “slave” and its Governing Body are doing to care for our spiritual needs. And we thank God for the abundance of fine spiritual provisions we have. (Isaiah 65:13, 14) Are we also taking sufficient time to instill appreciation for this arrangement in persons newly associating with the congregation?”

Watchtower, July 1,1965 article, What Is Required to Understand the Bible? Here is one quote from p. 391 :

“But in looking to God for his holy spirit we may not overlook God’s manner of imparting his spirit. Not only must we study God’s Word, have the right mental attitude and pray for God’s spirit, but we must recognize God’s visible organization. God is consistent, a God of order, not a God of disorder, even as his Word assures us. (1 Cor. 14:33) He does not impart his holy spirit and an understanding and appreciation of his Word apart from his visible organization.”

The Watchtower, Sept. 15, 1989 on p. 23:

“Instead of feeling frustrated by their limitations and treating their counsel lightly, let us appreciate and accept the Bible-based direction of the elders as coming from God.”

• shopaholic
    shopaholic

When we consider staying in a group because we cannot bear the loss, disappointment and sorrow our leaving will cause for ourselves and those we have come to love, we are in a cult

This was me for very long time. The sorrow was physically painful. True words indeed.

• Beta Male
    Beta Male

its painful to read that. me and my wife watched a documentary on jonestown. i cried, she went to sleep.

• White Dove
    White Dove

I saved it to my flash. It's amazing! I might use it as my signature on e-mails.

• White Dove
    White Dove

OTWO (Jerry, right?),

I saved your stuff to flash along with the quote. Thank you!

• outofthebox
    outofthebox

I always re-read that quote whenever I see it. How true.

• wobble
    wobble

When I first started to fade,and my Wife thought I was "leaving the truth", I printed that quote off and left it on the table,not intentionally, my Wife read it and thought it was aimed at JW's !!!!! (she didn't see the attribution,in small print)

How telling is that? She has since come a long way and is fading with me,and dosn't wince now when I call Dubs a cult.

Great quote Wing! and it may help others see,as it did my wife.

Thanks

Wobble

• Homerovah the Almighty
    Homerovah the Almighty

To play God or not that is the question, many a men have answered yes to this very question ,

with of course discernible damage placed upon individuals and toward humanity as a whole.

Its a shame these men just cant be content on just being mortal.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit