DF attending Memorial

by cameo-d 16 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Gladring
    Gladring

I was away from home for a few weeks one year, and I attended a memorial in another congregation. No one knew me but a couple of people made a point of telling me that "that person over there" was disfellowshipped just in case I accidentally said hello to them.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

I have to echo Blondie's comments.

No jw would knowingly talk to a df'd/da'd person at the memorial. They will avoid talking to them, and try to appear as if they just walked past them or didn't want to talk. They wouldn't typically throw their arms up over their ears or scream. If the DF'ed person speaks to them, they might politely answer, "You are disfellowshipped? Then we won't be talking." or some similar remark, or they might not answer at all- that's the closest to a snub they will typically get.

There is no rule about sitting in the back. If they enter with others, they will generally sit with those others. The attendants that know they are DF'ed think they are doing them a favor if they find them a seat in the back. Virtually all the occasional visitors want to sit in the back. Otherwise, they could sit right next to people they want to sit next to, whereever.

The elders and others want to rejoice that DF'ed ones come, but they don't want to create a scene. They WANT to rejoice, but their rules forbid it.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother
    There is no rule about sitting in the back.

That surprised me, but I cannot find such a rule on the c d rom. in my experience the d/f'd were always told to sit at the back . I have known a man be surrounded by elders and forcibly told that he had to move to the back row..but it does not seem to be written rule??

• XxJazzxX
    XxJazzxX

My wife is DFed and she still attends the Memorial. She asked me if I'm going a couple of days ago. As much as I want to support her, I cant support anything that's highly false.

Anyways, I'm a bit confused with the concept of who partakes in what.

• Meeting Junkie No More
    Meeting Junkie No More

LOL at RubaDub! For some reason, I just found your response absolutely hysterical...I'm still laughing...

• Bubblie
    Bubblie

I can remember an elder saying to another at the memorial about all the df'd attenders, he called them "the walking dead!" Isn't that sweet? Why would you go to something like that if you don't go to meeting anymore. They don't care about them. They just forget you. You are $hit to them.

Kit

At best, they will be bored. Go drink a beer at a pool hall. It's a far more intellectually stimulating endeavor than sitting at the memorial, listening to boring cult brainwashing devoid of any basis in fact or logic.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit