Why I am an atheist

by Awakened at Gilead 129 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

1. Religious reason: There is no proof for God outside of the bible. Once I dropped my belief in the Bible, the Judeo-Christian concept of god fell apart like a house of cards.

For me: 1 a. The God of the Bible is severely flawed. He approved slavery, genocide, rape, slaughter of innocents. He is jealous of nonexistent gods, his tests upon mankind are unjust or confusing (freewill but only if you do what I say), he demands punishment on children for the sins of the parents (Adam and Eve, David), women were property under his laws.

• besty
    besty
    There is no proof that life began by god, so why should I believe that…??? But is there no proof that life began by chance either, so why should I believe in that necessarily….??

Its not a binary on/off decision that is answerable by fact-based research, as the entire concept of 'god is fundamentally unfalsifiable and therefore outwith the bounds of normal decison making

The correct question is "where do I believe the balance of probabilities lies?" and 800 buses will 'probably' agree with you...

• IP_SEC
    IP_SEC

Its not a binary on/off decision that is answerable by fact-based research, as the entire concept of 'god is fundamentally unfalsifiable and therefore outwith the bounds of normal decison making

The correct question is "where do I believe the balance of probabilities lies?" and 800 buses will 'probably' agree with you...

Indeed. Many things that we dont believe in are unfalsifiable. That is the mere definition of A-anythingism. You might claim to have a gold sovereign in your pocket. Might you? Yes you might. Would I believe it? Naw the odds are again it.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

I fit the category of Atheist, but I prefer to say that I am a "Rationalist."
    That means I base my decisions on evidence available. That means I am
    willing to change my decisions when new evidence is available.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X78UnjdTzUw

• Mr. Majestic
    Mr. Majestic

"where do I believe the balance of probabilities lies?"

That is a good question besty, but the problem with people choosing the most probable argument is that that decision will be tainted by the bias opinion of the individual making that choice and what he/she believes or doesn’t believe in.

On a forum like this it doesn’t surprise me that many people who have been deceived by religious dogma and then have worked out it was all a big lie will revert to the complete contrary perspective. These ones will invariably sway toward believing life happened by chance. Others cling to a faith after leaving and would sincerely believe the balance of probabilities would sway towards a creator. Each ones personal perspective would tip the balance of probabilities according to what they believe or don’t believe. But that will still not ascertain what is truth or come close to proving anything with any certainty.

With that being said, if a hot girl like the one in the picture came up to me wearing a tee-shirt like that, I would tend to be swayed to believe anything she said…. and that would be ‘truth’ enough for me……

• fjtoth
    fjtoth

I've been away from the web for several hours. What has been written here while I was away confirms what I wrote:

God won't allow atheists to ever find him as long as they ridcule his existence or deliberately close their minds about him. We can't know him unless we really want to.

Atheists comfort themselves by accusing believers of being "ignorant" and of not fully understanding evolution. The real problem for atheists is that they have no desire at all to get acquainted with the creator, and sadly for them they will never get to know what is experienced by those who have an intimate relationship with him.

Believers have an advantage that atheists don't. We can read and study and take courses on atheistic evolution and be free to reject it. But atheists can never gain the insights that are available to those who have a person-to-person relationship with the God who resides beyond-this-natural-world, the God who reveals himself only to those who are looking for him.

Atheists can scoff, but they are extremely limited in what they can know for sure.

• leavingwt
    leavingwt
    We can't know him unless we really want to.

Are you rejecting the personal testimony of many atheists?

• fjtoth
    fjtoth

Are you rejecting the personal testimony of many atheists?

Who is the atheist you know who had a genuine experience with God and then rejected him?

• leavingwt
    leavingwt
    Who is the atheist you know who had a genuine experience with God and then rejected him?

They are too numerous to list. Many of them have published their detailed accounts in book form.

• Anti-Christ
    Anti-Christ
    Atheists comfort themselves by accusing believers of being "ignorant" and of not fully understanding evolution. The real problem for atheists is that they have no desire at all to get acquainted with the creator, and sadly for them they will never get to know what is experienced by those who have an intimate relationship with him.
    Believers have an advantage that atheists don't. We can read and study and take courses on atheistic evolution and be free to reject it. But atheists can never gain the insights that are available to those who have a person-to-person relationship with the God who resides beyond-this-natural-world, the God who reveals himself only to those who are looking for him.
    Atheists can scoff, but they are extremely limited in what they can know for sure.
    Why this us verses them attitude? Personal experiences don't count as an argument. What god do you believe in? Is it the Christian? if it is what do you say about someone who has a personal experience with Krishna or Buddha? Do they count? One more thing if I understand you must have faith in god first then he reveals himself to you, is that right?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit