I Finally Understand the Kingdom Hall Scam

by jamiebowers 37 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• Bubblie
    Bubblie

Their are many who wasted years on building projects to watch them get shot down by new co's who said there was no need for a new building. Just increase the current kh times all day Sunday and even a Saturday talk & wt study. Then, you got to be the lucky one to go on Saturday morning and wreak your weekend. Sunday service was really down when that happened. Just remembered that ugly time in my life. Where is that kh in the picture? NY?

Kit

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

Yes, what a scam. The congregation buys and/or builds a kingdom hall, pays interest on the money borrowed from the watchtower society only so that the watchtower retains ownership of it. On top of that, the congragation pays for all expenses of the hall, renovations, and has to pay rent to use the building they bought and paid for, but can never own.

I don't know where all the money goes, but I suspect a fair chunk goes towards the legal defense of JW pedophiles.

The WTS wants JWs to believe that the churches are emptying. But there are many churches that are filled and often the only reason to rebuild is a fire that destroys the building.

The Catholic churches I've visited aren't empty. They're always filled, sometimes with standing room only, for all 4 weekend masses. And the churches are much larger than a kingdom hall. We're talking about several thousand attendees every week. And the parishes cover a much smaller area than a JW "territory".

W

• DaCheech
    DaCheech

lies, lies, lies

• Ténébreux
    Ténébreux

except....who benefits?

An Australian TV interviewer called Andrew Denton was once talking to bankrupt businessman whose name escapes me at the moment, and asked him about the private jet he gets around in despite supposedly having no money. The guy said "It's not my plane, it's the company's." Andrew replied "Does anyone ever say you can't use it?"

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

FF

Yes, what a scam. The congregation buys and/or builds a kingdom hall, pays interest on the money borrowed from the watchtower society only so that the watchtower retains ownership of it.

Don't forget the congregations pay up front to a world-wide building fund that goes to Bethel before they get anywhere near building a new hall.

THEN they get to borrow it back.

• loosie
    loosie

I can't understand why the JW's keep donating?!?! Are they that bad at math?

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

They give because if they don't they might be viewed as weak.

When they make one of those "votes" top send money somewhere for something, they don't want to be the odd person out who doesn't approve the motion and raise their hand.

The game is guilt shame and coercion. It works very well for the WTS

• parakeet
    parakeet

Prediction: It won't be long before the WTS realizes (if they haven't already) that going into the money-lending business would be more lucrative than flipping KHs.

They could offer consolidation loans and credit cards for dubs who are having trouble keeping up financially (and that would be most of them because of the WT's disapproval of higher education).

The dubs would eat it up, of course, and in addition to just plain giving money to the WTS, they would end up owing money to the WTS.

There are probably laws against religions conducting that kind of business, but I'm sure the dub lawyers could find a way around it. The gb could find a way out of the comparison with the temple money-lenders that made Jesus go off the deep end.

Think of the interest you would rake in, gb. Just think of all ... that ... MONEY.

• watson
    watson

Most of the new builds that I have been aware of, the congregation would take the proceeds from the sale of the old hall, and put that back into the ground and whatever construction costs the proceeds would cover. Usually there is not enough to cover the complete new project, so the congregation will borrow the balance needed from the org. to complete the new project. This money is paid back to the org. over time.

• loosie
    loosie

Yeah they may allow the congo to pay it back. But when you pay your home mortgage to the bank after 30 years or so you own it not the bank.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit