Confusion over the parable of the prodigal son

by economy 13 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• economy
    economy

Though parable of prodigal son is superlative in quality as it graphically picturizes the scientific Law of Cause and Consequence, its conclusion defames God. When the prodigal son returned repentant, his father showed his delight saying: Let us celebrate this by killing a “fattened calf.” (Luke 15:23) Such a concept (let us rejoice by giving maximum pain to another innocent living being) seems to be interpolation for the following reason:

1) Jesus knows every life is precious and every living being cherishes their lives (Mathew 9:13)

2) In the previous chapter, Jesus had already said one can break the Law of Sabbath to save a cow that has fallen into a pit on Sabbath (Luke 14:5).

3) Above all, father in the parable represents God himself who would not say “let us celebrate this by killing a fattened calf” as He had already made it clear ‘killing a bull is equal to killing a man, and is nothing but abomination’ (the root of which carries the notion of terror, horror, repugnance, disgust).—Isaiah 66:3.

On the contrary, when a village girl offered rice pudding to Buddha, he enjoyed it so much that he realized the noble middle path—proper food properly cooked gives energy to one’s brain and solace to his tortured soul—especially so if it is prepared love towards the prospective eater. You may have heard some saying: “the food my mother cooks carries a special taste, and is a delight to my heart’ If one really enjoys the taste and aroma of food while eating it slowly with proper chewing and relishing it, and taking it silently with the person being immersed in the experience, then it allows the other senses to kick in and provides the wholeness of experience, and helps focus the attention on the eating experience—something that forms the part of even the true worship (Compare Mark 12:30). Hence in some cultures eating is considered as part of worship!

Various foods have varying effects on body. Soldiers say certain foods help them to remain in fighting mood. Interestingly, we even have a branch of nutritional genomics—Nutrigenomics—that looks at how different foods may interact with specific genes to modify the risk of certain common diseases. (http://www.nutritionandgenetics.org/). Conversely, certain food can interact with specific genes to strengthen our health—physical and spiritual!

So ignoring all these aspects, how could Jesus put into the mouth of the father in the parable: ‘Let us celebrate this by killing a fattened calf (Luke 15:23)?

• The Searcher
    The Searcher

Sorry, but "let us rejoice by giving maximum pain" is not a valid interpretation.

I don't see even a hint of your assumption anywhere in the Bible! Not even for evil people.

Imitating Witnesses and others by "stating" something which isn't there, is self-defeating.

• Viviane
    Viviane
    Apparently because you gotta kill it before you can grill it.
  • bohm
    bohm

Buddah, vegatarianism, a spiritual outlook that is critical of the bible..

• Splash
    Splash
    I would have thought that maximum pain would be grilling it first.
  • XBEHERE
  • OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

The "lost son" goes and enjoys his FAT TUESDAY before sacrificing all during his season of LENT, then the "father" is glad he returns to the church and celebrates in the great feast of EASTER.

I hope I showed you how people can make up anything from the Bible. They can even try to make up a vegetarian message out of it.

This parable appears only in the Gospel of Luke. It is made up by the author. It is the third parable in a series, the first about the lost sheep, the second about the lost coin, this one about the lost son. The god of the Jews is a cold killer and the authors are trying to make a kinder, gentler image for him, so this parable shows how forgiving and festive God can be.

It has nothing to do with a message about killing animals. The author (known as "Luke") may say it is kindness to save a cow on the sabbath in the previous chapter, but then I don't know where you read into the story that killing a calf is "maximum pain." If your personal beliefs reject eating animals, I am sure you can find things in the Bible to support your beliefs.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

If your personal beliefs reject eating animals.......

Then I'll be glad to take your cut of the Prime Rib.

Image result for prime rib

Doc

• economy
    economy
    OnTheWayOut

You got me correctly when you said: “This parable appears only in the Gospel of Luke. It is made up by the author.” This is exactly what I wanted to highlight—parable is not from Jesus. Veg or non-veg became just a medium (not the subject-matter) I used.

• notsurewheretogo
    notsurewheretogo

Isn't the bigger issue that the father forgave the son even though the son was not truly repentant but he only came back because he was hungry?

Kind of blows the "shunning" practice to bits doesn't it? The father should have shunned the son until he was "truly" repentant.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit