Call it what it is. The BUSH RECESSION.

by sammielee24 61 Replies latest jw friends

• sammielee24
    sammielee24

Call to arms. The Creeprepublicans are already in force trying to strategize for the next election with lies - of course what else is new? The party that just finished bringing down the country haven't even bothered to let people breathe or let them see the results of the lawsuits and justice for all of those people that they allowed to destroy us. Nope, forget about putting the country together - actually working for the people - instead they prefer to start whining and manipulating their minority base now in the hopes that while those poor suckers are cold and hungry and unemployed as a result of 8 years of Bush blundering...they'll be able to make them believe it's Obama's fault. So from now on, let's all keep referring to this economic freefall as the Bush Recession..all it takes is labelling like this, constantly hearing it called Bush Recession and eventually the link takes hold and pretty soon everyone in a difficult position now will immediately think Bush Recession link Republican link Never Again..sammieswife.

by Steve Rosenbaum..

When Barack Obama took office, it was clearly with a vision of a bi-partisan (or in his mind - 'post partisan') administration. This was clearly naive. Perhaps voters want it, and perhaps there are some enlightened politicians who can see the forest for the trees, but for the large majority - the Democratic win in 2008 is little more than a call for the Republicans to regroup and prepare for a full frontal assault in 2012.

If this wasn't clear before the vote on the Stimulus package, it should be clear now.

Already Republican operatives are drafting commercials for the midterm elections. They'll play like this: "Since Barack Obama took office, XX Americans have lost their jobs, XX Americans have lost their homes, and XX Americans have filed for bankruptcy. In light of the failed programs of the Obama administration, it's time to re-elect Republicans on a platform of tax reform, smaller government, and less handouts to the poor and underprivileged."

These commercials will work, because we all know that however successful the stimulus package is, there will be months, or years of economic pain before we start to see the positive effects of these investments.

So, what to do about this?

The answer is, we must name our pain. We must begin to refer to the current recession asthe "Bush Recession." We must talk about the difficult, complex, long-term efforts we'll need to all engage in order to reverse the toxic economic environment created by the "Bush Recession."

The Bush Recession didn't happen overnight -- it took 8 years of careful, purposeful, willful actions to create this cycle of economic devastation.

I understand why Obama isn't focused on blaming the Bush administration. He's right to look forward, rather than back. There's way too much to do to spend any cycles placing blame. At the same time, if we don't name our pain, then we're likely to find ourselves fighting off right wing pundits in 2 years, and 4, who try to re-write history and hold the Obama administration responsible for the very things they're trying to fix.

So, with that in mind, let's catalog the drivers that have created the Bush Recession, and make sure we agree that these collective actions happened long before the Obama administration was in the White House.

First, the sub-prime mortgage meltdown. During the 8 years the Bush administration was in charge, we saw a dramatic expansion in available credit to borrowers who where not able to quality for conventional mortgages. This boom in new buyers drove up housing prices, creating a bubble of newfound wealth in the equity of homes, and creating a cycle of borrowing against newly inflated home equity. This bubble was evident to economists and consumers alike, yet in the absence of any legislation or government controls - the trend continued to balloon.

Second, Iraq. The cost of our dramatic increase in military spending provided a huge drain on the Federal Budget, as services that were heretofore part of the military budget became privatized and outsourced. Companies like Blackwater and Halliburton received huge military contracts to provide services - often without bids or oversight. Now, seven years later, we're uncovering fraud, waste, and violations of human rights that reflect both the size of the contracts and the Government's basic lack of ability to oversee or administer these programs. The elixir of privatization and deregulation created an environment that was ripe for fraud and misuse. In hindsight, is this any surprise?

Third, abandonment of a US economic vision. For 8 years the Bush administration focused on security and fear, while any vision of our economic future got put on hold. Gasoline taxes, emission standards or innovation in our core sectors were all either ignored or frowned upon.

Fourth, the environment. As George Bush dragged his heals on any environmental science, things like Kyoto were left unsigned. As former Vice President Al Gore raised the nation's awareness of Global Warming, the Bush Administration sought to minimize and obfuscate the science around climate change. As a result, government funding for new energy was back-burnered, and industries that count on the Government to legislate change and create a level playing field continued to build and produce gas guzzling trucks and automobiles. While world governments have used gas taxes to drive both conservation and innovation, the Bush administration essentially subsidized fossil fuel burning automobiles. The result, our energy industries are desperately behind, and our automotive industry is almost a decade behind in thinking about alternative energy.

Fifth, Wall Street and Banking. For 8 years there has been a dramatic expansion in the services and fast consolidation of what had been separate and in some cases regulated industries. As banking, brokerage, insurance, and financial services companies acquired and merged - the speed of these transactions far exceeded the regulatory ability or resources (not by accident) resulting in such things as credit default swaps that now even seasoned wall-streeters say were hard to understand.

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

I trust the population as a whole to figure out what the GOP is up to.

As the GOP has been refusing to work with Obama, their polls have been dropping like a brick.

The reason the GOP is behaving the way it is is because they are afraid of referendums started by small numbers of fanatical right-wingers. Basically the crazy religious nut-job racists are threatening to remove the GOP members from office if they do not do what the crazies tell them.

Quite ironic when you stop and think about it. The GOP is held hostage by the crazy minority they created over the last 30 years.

• read good books
    read good books

If you really want to call it what it is call it the Globalist Banker's takeover of America. Those are the people Bush and his Dad really worked for, and so does Obama. It's really the Bush/Hoover like Depression made worse by Obama/Roosevelt like continuation of the same policies. This is a hostile takeover of the U.S. when our economy crashes the Puppetmasters, the Global Elite, are the people who caused it, (George Bush Senior said UN mandates required us to fight the first Gulf War) and they will come in pretending to be our saviours and buy it up everything for pennies on the dollar, which they already started doing with firesale prices because of the devaluation of our dollar. You'll get your Global Carbon Taxes that will go to foreign banks, most of your Federal Tax dollar already does go to pay them interest on the Government loans, so their buying up our infrastructure- highways soon to be tollways, seaports, local banks, farmland, you name it.

Their Federalizing things at the State level i.e. (National Gaurd, working on getting rid of the local sheriff's office, saying the Govenor's serve at the pleasure of the President) to get control at the local level. The Obama admistration set up a task force to study the Middle Class, after this last two stimulus bills it looks like it's purpose is how to get rid of them the fastest through high taxes and the coming inflation caused by dollar devaluation. The Republicans are putting on a nice taxpayer's friend act now, but if those Republicans voted for the first stimulus then I don't believe it.

• sammielee24
    sammielee24

Although I agree for the most part Read - most people think primarily in terms of Democrat/Republican. They don't think larger than that hence the importance of ensuring that the majority understand what the creeprepublicans are up to.

As for the global elite - the first thing they will do is clean the human house. Too many people on the planet so there will be a war or famine or plague to elimate billions in overpopulated area's. Then they will be able to control those left and implement breeding restrictions which may not be bad for the survival of the planet. No children before you are 21 and spacing between kids of 7 years. That ensures that the population is controlled without too much interference yet still produces enough manpower to keep the money flowing with an acceptable standard of living. Those that don't toe the policies will be used for 'free' labour in factories as they work off their debt to society.

Can't do much about the global elites - only hope for the best. sammieswife.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

I think Clinton had something to do with setting up the house of cards that we call our economy in the first place.

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

I have more dislike for Bush than for Clinton.

I was making twice as much money at my job and lots of money in the stock market when clinton

was president.

I do blame Clinton for Nafta which he got from Daddy Bush.

And as I see Amerika, the lack of jobs is a major component in the current depression.

More so than the banking fiasco.

And in the big picture

I believe there is a big conspiracy.

We were made by the Gods to be their slaves/ workers.

The Gods only allow who they choose or allow to be king/ president.

The bible says that. The bible says a lot of things some of it must be correct.

Anyways.

In Amerika we get to vote.

We get to vote for the person we want to tell us lies.

Some people smirk when they lie. I find that annoying.

And some people are dignified and talk in complete sentences when they lie.

That is my preference in liars.

But if a politicians lips are moving.

He's lying.

If you dont believe that, then I think you just fell off the pumpkin wagon.

• jeeprube
    jeeprube

I do blame Clinton for Nafta which he got from Daddy Bush.

Yeah, Clinton screwed us on that one. The business lobby sold the legislation as a way to create more American jobs by opening new markets to American made products. Clinton should have been smart enough to see through the bull and realize they'd just use it as a means to export labor to cheaper markets. Corporate America sold us out. They sold our manufacturing base first to Mexico, then to China. The very foundation of our country's strength was our manufacturing base. It's what won WW2, and built the middle class in the 1950-60's era.

Now it's gone, and so is our economy. We've been lying to ourselves for the past 20 years. When your economy is driven by consumer spending and not raw production of goods....sooner or later it's gonna crash. Well, right now it's crashing and we don't have a manufacturing base to pull us out of it.....China has it now. Where is the money for our "stimulus bill" coming from? China.

It's so sad when you think about it. Our corporate overlords sold us out to the Commies for a decade long cash orgy, and now the bill is coming due.

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

Blame it all on Bush if you like, not that it matters, even though there are many more contributing factors than just the presidency. And because of this I object to the article above. Bush helped create this mess by not wielding his veto pen for many years. Under him the size of the Federal Government ballooned. The deficit ballooned. Now, how are the Democrats and Obama going to solve this problem? By accelerating the growth!

First, the sub-prime mortgage meltdown. During the 8 years the Bush administration was in charge, we saw a dramatic expansion in available credit to borrowers who where not able to quality for conventional mortgages. This boom in new buyers drove up housing prices, creating a bubble of newfound wealth in the equity of homes, and creating a cycle of borrowing against newly inflated home equity. This bubble was evident to economists and consumers alike, yet in the absence of any legislation or government controls - the trend continued to balloon.

The Federal Reserve is supposed to operate seperately from the Presidency, and Fed monetary policies contributed to the bubble more than any other factor. Also, the CRA as put forth by the Clinton administration also contributed greatly to this. The Bush administration is on the record as recommending that Congress amend this act more than a dozen times. What Obama and congress are doing now is going to prolong and deepen the pain. This thing could be over in two years if it was allowed to run it's course. The policies now being put forth are guaranteeing another Depression. FDR tried to do the same things. A decade later unemployment was actually higher than when he took office. A decade.

Fifth, Wall Street and Banking. For 8 years there has been a dramatic expansion in the services and fast consolidation of what had been separate and in some cases regulated industries.

This is a myth and misleading. The statement speaks as if the industries had been regulated but were no longer. This is not true. Federal regulation grew greatly during the Bush years. Why all the problems, then? Easy cheap money. Credit expansion. This is what always happens in the end.

If there is one thing I am pleased with regarding Republicans right now, it is their near unanimous opposition to this horrible power grab.

Call it the Bush recession all you want, but the Democrats now own the Shit Sandwich which will fix nothing, and there will be more Anal Stimulus in the summer, if rumors are true. They will likely own that too. Our currency will be further debased. The value of our savings will decrease. The cost of goods will start to go up. And who will we blame for these policies?

This article is basically political propaganda, and is divorced from fact. It is trying to revive a political tactic that was used by FDR. When running for his second term, he was still running against Hoover. It worked. Fortunately, there are many more venues for communication than what we had in the 1930s. There is a greater chance of people learning the truth. Unfortunately FDR didn't actually fix anything, and was in reality continuing Hoover's policies, and his violations of the Constitution still affect us today.

BTS

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

When your economy is driven by consumer spending and not raw production of goods....sooner or later it's gonna cra
    sh.

Too true, JeepRube. It has been a shell game for many years now, papered over by presses turning out dollars. They are running the presses faster than ever now. However, I think the gig is up. A Ponzi scheme only works when people believe the hype.

As for NAFTA, I really don't think it was bad in theory...in that trading with our neighbors was a bad idea,. I think that it was the implementation of it that sucked. Clinton was not such a bad president in my opinion (of course there is plenty I could skewer him over.) Of course, the 90's were a unique time in history.

BTS

• leavingwt
    leavingwt
    "Now that those of us who have been making steady, on-time payments on our mortgages for years will be paying off others’ mortgages through our taxes, can we claim a tax-deduction for our neighbors’ mortgage interest too?"

Love it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit