CO kept mispronouncing "debt"

by Red Piller 32 Replies latest jw experiences

• Red Piller
    Red Piller

So, this happened a while ago - but I never posted on it. During a CO visit, he gave a talk relating to Jesus ransom (I think) and the "debt" that was owed by sin, etc...

He kept saying "debt" and he kept pronouncing the "b". So it sounded like "deb-t"

It drove you crazy after awhile. How can any adult not know how to pronounce this word? Is that prossible? I would never make fun of someone for mispronouncing a word. I've done that plenty of times. But, this is a common word. He must have heard it pronounced at some point. He's an adult charged with giving speeches, continually. It makes no sense.

• zeb
    zeb

I have heard bros use made up words down the years in talks or badly mispronounce others. One that springs to mind was when describing Alexander the greats army moved in a ..paralax. he meant phalanx.

Small indicators of poor education.

• Divergent
    Divergent
    Happens all the time! During a recent WT study I attended, the magazine reader kept mispronouncing "heirs" as "hairs"!!! Unbelievable!!!
  • Divergent
    Divergent
    There were a few giggles in the audience, but most didn't even seem to notice! And the study conductor didn't even bother to correct him...
  • Splash
    Splash
    We often get Hyperbowl (hyperbole) in the answers.
  • millie210
    millie210

Did he say "deb-it or Deb -T?

I wondered if he has heard the newscasters talk about the national debit and thought he sounded more current that way?

"But I was smart and I could choose...learned to talk like the man on the 6 o'clock news."

lyrics "Good Ole Boy Like Me"

• hoser
    hoser
    We are the thinkingest people according to one of the leaders
  • LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

CO kept mispronouncing "debt" - I guess that wasn't very subtle of him

• sir82
    sir82

We often get Hyperbowl (hyperbole) in the answers.

You're lucky. Our guys don't even understand the concept of hyperbole (and that's no hyperbole).

• The Searcher
    The Searcher

One Elder in a previous KH used to say "pacific" instead of specific!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit