CO kept mispronouncing "debt"

by Red Piller 32 Replies latest jw experiences

• Simon
    Simon

Hey, practically all North Americans mispronounce lots of words. Imagine how frustrating it is to live here and listen to the language being butchered. It's not just normal people either, newsreaders do it as well.

Herbs -> 'erbs (em - it has an H at the front, use it)

Aluminium -> Aluminum (sounds to us like the person is having a stoke while trying to say Aluminium)

Garage (ga-ridge) -> Garaaaaaaashhhhh (why trying to sound posh?)

It's not just English either ... the worse one (in Canada) is "Coupe" which they pronounce Coup (like "Soup"). How the hell can a country that has French as an official language not know how to pronounce a French word? It's Coup-eh (like toupe). The only time it's close is when they add "eh?" to the end of the sentence.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Simon..

The Canadian Language police are coming to your house!..LOL!!..

We do it as a Public Service for people who can`t speak "Proper Canadian"..

A Giant Scarlet "EH!" will be painted on your front door to identify you..

That way the Molson Truck can find your house to deliver you a Pallet of Molson Canadian Beer..

Once you`ve consumed all the beer,You`ll be speaking Proper Canadian..

Image result for Molson Canadian beer truckImage result for Molson Canadian beer.Image result for canadian eh..

• steve2
    steve2

Tell me about it! Here in Kiwiland they even badly mispronounce the "true" God's name. "Jehovah" indeed! I've given up telling them it's "Jay Hoova" and if you're feeling truly spiritual, it's "Jay Edgar Hoova". Sheesh - it's so embarrassing.

• Incognito
    Incognito
    ... the worse one (in Canada) is "Coupe" which they pronounce Coup (like "Soup"). How the hell can a country that has French as an official language not know how to pronounce a French word? It's Coup-eh (like toupe).

Although Canada's origins are from England (Great Britain), there are many words & traits that are 'picked-up' from our American neighbors to the South. Although Coupe has an 'e' at the end, it is most often pronounced as 'Coup' in North America.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ut7ysDYPWic

Although both pronunciations are acceptable, the Beach Boys hit song: 'Little Deuce Coupe' wouldn't be quite the same if sung: 'Little Deuce Coup-eh'.

In computers, there is memory called Cache. How should that be pronounced? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_rCcV6MiQZ0

• stan livedeath
    stan livedeath

back in my day--late 60's--our congregation servant--(as we called them )--was a lovely old chap--real heart of gold. but he couldnt pronounce words to save his life.

his bible knowlege wasnt too hot either---such as " Paul's letter to Matthew"

but we loved him nontheless---despite his smoking habit and driving without a licence.

• OneFingerSalute
    OneFingerSalute

He kept saying "debt" and he kept pronouncing the "b". So it sounded like "deb-t"

Well what would we expect from someone with "better" than a college education from reading all those Awake articles about bugs, birds, and fish?

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot

"Aluminium -> Aluminum (sounds to us like the person is having a stoke while trying to say Aluminium)"

Aluminum has two different spellings and pronunciations. For example: http://www.howjsay.com/index.php?word=aluminum (audio).

• nonjwspouse
    nonjwspouse

Oh I have such a long list of words. I doubt I'll remember them all at one sitting. ( I live in the south and it is really bad on the language here)

How about the fish, Salmon-- "saL, man" pronouncing that L) of sa mon ( dropping the L)

Using the preposition "at" or in the end of the sentence.EX " Where you at?" .... so many things wrong with that sentence anyway.

A friend called her Nissan Maxima, her "Maximum"

Oh my poor brain is exploding right now ( it is a pet peeve) I can keep thinking right now...hahaha

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

The best one we ever had was a Theocratic Ministry School overseer who always counselled people on their :

"pronOUNCiashon" instead of "proNUNciation"

Drove me insane!

• sparrowdown
    sparrowdown
    Plenty of dumb-ass speakers/circ-u-it overseers around.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit