I am experimenting with RSS feeds - are you?

by AK - Jeff 9 Replies latest social current

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

Today is the first day that I have ever even looked at them. I figured bookmarks would do the same thing. I am importing them to my Yahoo Reader and find that putting all my personal relevant information on the same page is perhaps a good idea. I even put JWN feed on My Yahoo home so that a quick glance should show me if anything new is cooking over here.

Anyone else done this? Anyone have pro/con on them? I have no PDA or Iphone or any other remote device, so I can only use them on my computer at least now.

Jeff

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

Damn. What a boring question.

Jeff

• crazyblondeb
    crazyblondeb

I have no idea what a RSS feed it, much less how to use it.

I'd love to have someone, SIMPLY, tell me!!

• rebel8
    rebel8

I've wanted to Jeff, but I don't get it. Couldn't find any simple explanation of what it is and how to do it.

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

RSS stands for "Really Simple Syndication" When you see the little:

Either on your browser bar or on a website, that is the indication that this site serves up RSS feeds for those who wish to subscribe.

There are a few dozen free [or in some cases minimal fee] rss readers [also known as agregators] that can bring these feeds to either a webpage or to a device that can read them. For instance, look on the browser bar above this webpage and see a Rss symbol, and also on the webpage itself. For this webpage, as far as I can determine, the feed is only designed to highlight the last 50 topics posted. By subscribing to the feed, I was able to automatically load the top few topics to my Yahoo page [using Yahoo Feedreader]. I can glance there at all my feeds, for news and discussion forums that I use often for instance. Your feedreader will update and refresh based on your preferences.

Shortly after I posted this topic yesterday it appeared on my home page in Yahoo, as it would for anyone else who subscribed to the feed from this site. I am just looking for others who have found a particularly advantageous way to use this technology. I am slowly figuring it out. I like being able to glance at my various interests in one place while checking the web daily.

It is faster than jumping from page to page to find out what is going on. I just scroll over the items and see the gist.

Jeff

• drwtsn32
    drwtsn32

Actually it stands for Really Simple Syndication.

RSS is a great way to keep tabs on stories, articles, etc., posted on a site without having to actually visit each site individually. You are presented with a simple list showing titles and synopses. Clicking one one of them will take you to the real site so you can see the entire story.

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff
    Actually it stands for Really Simple Syndication.

My bad.

Jeff

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

It's a good idea, Jeff. I haven't used it for JWN but I do use it to keep tabs on my own website - incidentally I hope you've included it on your feeds?

• rebel8
    rebel8

TY Jeff. I guess I have that on my toolbar. I didn't realize it could be used with forums. Definitely going to check it out!

• Country_Woman
    Country_Woman

it's on my toolbar too... never used it and I am afraid I won't do it in the future either.

Till now, I never heard of RSS - I was thinking of a medical disorder...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit