why do we call ourselves apostates?

by recovering 35 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

I dont consider myself appostate. I am looking for truth.

I asked Jehovah to show me the truth.

And he answered my prayer and led me right out of the kingdumb hall.

• Witness 007
    Witness 007

I prefer the term "Stud muffin bible studiers."

• Chalam
    Chalam

"I dont consider myself appostate. I am looking for truth.

I asked Jehovah to show me the truth.

And he answered my prayer and led me right out of the kingdumb hall."

Amen! What happened next?

All the best,

Stephen

• cameo-d
    cameo-d

A heretic by any other name......

What was the crime of heretics?

Most who were burned at the stakes were gulity of trying to heal and offer comfort to those who were sick.

The church had decreed that these people were sick, diseased, lame and handicapped because it was God's punishment on them for their sins.

To offer healing herbs or try to alleviate the distress of those in pain, was considered to be a direct interference with God's judgement.

Therefore, these "witches" were killed because they defied the corrupt powers of the church.

Anyone who dares to speak out against corruption....anyone who refuses to bow to the decrees of the powerful....will end up with a label....or worse.

• undercover
    undercover

It's cult-think religions like JWs and Mormons that give the word "apostate" an evil connotation. In reality the word isn't that derogatory.

By "allowing" ourselves to be called apostate, or calling ourselves such, we show that we're not afraid of the word and we're not afraid of the WT Society which seeks to label us as "evil".

I don't use the word in everyday speech or writing but on occasion I'll use the word when trying to describe to outsiders(those who have no real knowledge of JWs)what I've gone through because it does best describe what I am to the religion.

• Nellie
    Nellie

Don't forget by their definition an apostate is someone who seeks to get others to leave their org by false witnesses and testimony, etc. I embraced the Websters definition of apostate for myself, because yes, I did change my religious beliefs. But I have no interest whatsoever in trying to change anyone else's mind about what they accept as the truth. Years ago, no one would have been able to make me think any differently about it (even though I had a few family members who tried) and that's why I know it's not worth the effort to try to change anyone else's mind. The way I feel about it is that if they want answers, they'll ask questions. Then, and only then, will I share.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit