why do we call ourselves apostates?

by recovering 35 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Bubblie
    Bubblie

We have examined the wt and found it lacking. Therefore, we have moved on to look at or not look at other places for guidance. An apostate in the dictionary means one who has left their religion, faith, or political party. Most of us did that to become a witless, so now we are called it as an identity they like to label us! Welcome to freedom to think on your own.

Kit

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

I found it's a great way of making JWs stop talking to me, so it accomplishes my intended purpose.

W

• catbert
    catbert

A difinition for apostate: " One who has abandoned one's religious faith, a political party, one's principles, or a cause."

• Chalam
    Chalam

apostasia is to fall away from the truth-see here forsake

The irony is that the JWs have progressively fallen away from the truth since the Watchtower started, classic apostasy.

All the best,

Stephen

• Gregor
    Gregor

Great point, Chalam! The WT Society is the real apostate of Christianity! LOL

• oompa
    oompa

I may start using aprostate...............my prostate if fine btw............oompa

• chickpea
    chickpea

i second gregor's accolade for chalam....

point well made!!

for the record, i am an apostate
    re: the teachings of the b0rg
    i have rejected it part and parcel...

same as i did the catholic church
    when i became assimilated into the collective

in some circles it is called changing one's mind

• Awakened at Gilead
    Awakened at Gilead

Any JW not born-in is an apostate since they have abandoned their former faith.

• daniel-p
    daniel-p

As catbert brings out, all of us are apostates, because we've abandoned our former faith. That's it. THe reason why some people have a problem being called an apostate is because, by the way religions use it, it's like a slur. However, there's no reason for us to be offended by someone calling us an apostate. It's not a slur, it's an accurate description of what we've done. We've turned aside; we're no longer following *their* path; we've forsaken our faith. And those are GOOD things when it comes to what that faith entailed.

• recovering
    recovering

Hmmm have I abandoned my religion yes, Have I abandoned my principles no. I would not mind being called an apostate if the only connotation it had was abandoning my former faith. I was born into the religion and was baptized by the time I was 12. I never had a chance to truly analyze the veracity of the religion. I do however object to being considered an apostate if the definition of apostate is the ones the JWs use. I never turned my back on god, just the organization of JWs. I know that they can not truly be speaking for a loving god. As has been pointed out earlier in this thread I firmly believe the organization of JWs has apostated themselves from the true true teachings of Christ. Hence, I feel that to allow them to label us as apostates is insulting. Perhaps I am being overly sensitive. It is just such such a loaded word when they use it in referance to those of us who question the veracity of their teachings.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit