I am sooo ashamed!

by moman 25 Replies latest jw friends

• forgetmenot
    forgetmenot

I wasn't ashamed, a little disappointed though. I left when I was young and having a big figure in you're life destroy itself and its image in front of you is sad. But it has given me good critical thinking skills that I probably wouldn't have had.

And anther thing. Alot of you say you (feel) felt stupid. Some of the smartest people get trapped into a cult. YOu don't have to be stupid to get in. You just don't have to think. Stupidity isn't a trap, not thinking is a trap. And it looks like alot of you have helped yourself out of this trap because you're here thinking about how you can benefit and move on with this new lesson in life. Being intelectual and intellegent are two totally different things.

Congrads all on being wonderfull, intellectual people!

• slipnslidemaster
    slipnslidemaster
    I've been trying to quit smoking for years,prehaps the answer is to become a witness

I started smoking to quit chewing gum.

Slipnslidemaster:"The only way to get rid of a temptation is to yield to it."
    - Oscar Wilde

• Xena
    Xena

Kinda off the subject but I just had to say to Jackie, I love your quote!!!!

Thousands of years ago, cats were worshipped as gods. Cats have never forgotten this.
  • Eyebrow
    Eyebrow

there is nothing to be ashamed of if you followed the religion because you felt it was the right thing to do.

I was raised as a witness, left for a few years as a teenager, came back got baptized....and then several years later had questions I had never thought about before and then left when I was convinced it was not what I could believe.

Being a witness helped me quit smoking also, stay away from weed (things I used to do when I left as a teen) and it was what I needed at the time to stay away from some old high school friends that really were bad associations. (One ended up in jail twice for dealing drugs).

I was raised in it, and that religion was the only thing at the time that helped me at that time. I was raised to believe that it was the onlu course, so I guess that is why at that time it was the only thing that could help me.

I am not ashamed of being a witness, because when I was a witness I actually lived it. I was living my conscience. I am living my conscience today...I just believe different things now.

• SEAKEN2001
    SEAKEN2001

I feel the same as Eyebrow. I was doing what I beleived to be right. I was not fake in any way, or at least I thought. My motives were good. I was fooled but it wasn't my fault. As soon as I learned what was really going on I quit that nonsense.

I do know what you mean though. Sometimes I get to feeling uncomfortable admitting I was a JW. But that comes from me. The reality of it is that most people don't have a clue about JW's. It means nothing to them. So, forget about it. Just move on. It was a chapter in your life. Take the stuff you enjoyed or learned with you and leave the rest behind.

Sean

• yrs2long
    yrs2long

So glad that Jehovah's Witness is a belief system and not a race. Imagine how difficult it would be to escape the negativity of it if it came with highly visible and permanent physical identification marks like brown or black skin and slanted eyes.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit