$ The root of evil? $

by BurnTheShips 26 Replies latest jw friends

• rebel8
    rebel8

Here there is a great battle jws do against Baptists on the topic of $ and the root of evil. They go to great lengths to brag about how much "more correct" they are than Christendom because the scrip says "love of money", not "money".

Then they whisper against fellow dubs who have money.

Once when I was a poor pioneer, I saved enough to buy a new car (cheapest 4-door car available, $7000). A lazy slob of a woman let her precious snowflake leave his bottle in my car and it stained. I gave her back the bottle and politely mentioned it had spilled. Instead of apologizing, I was quickly in trouble for materialism. Big drama.

And I don't like Ayn Rand or however her name is spelled. Can't put my finger on it but she rubs me the wrong way every time.

That is all. Carry on.

• James Mixon
    James Mixon

The lack of money is the root of all evil. I must admit I L--O--V--E money.

If the love of money is the Root of all Evil, what money was used with Adam?

Ask the man that have his ass out and living on the street.

• truthseeker100
    truthseeker100
    The most evil thing you can do to a human or animal is to deprive them of food. I have more respect for the Salvation army warriors than I do for the WTBTS
  • NewYork44M
    NewYork44M

I have very mixed feelings about Ayn Rand. In my transition away from the Watchtower I was very interested in Rand. Mostly because it was the exact opposite of what I was taught as a JW. I needed that "shock" value. As I have grown as an individual I understand Rand, but have ultimately disagreed with her on several levels. I believe there is a place for government. I also do not believe that we should be transacting business with gold nuggets.

That being said I have read Atlas Shrugged several times and The Fountainhead many times. I much prefer The Fountainhead. I find that it is an inspirational book. I always look forward to my next read of the book. I finished my last read 6 months ago and will probably read it again some time next year.

To Blondie's point, the protagonist of the story actually addresses the difference between the evil of "money" and the "love of money." Money is simply a measure. To suggest that money is evil is to suggest that the 12-inch ruler is evil. Measuring things is not a bad thing. Measuring wealth is a wonderful thing.

• Simon
    Simon

Yeah, it's actually love of money or putting money above more important things.

Most people need some resources and money is just a mechanism for exchange. It's all about loving wealth and the power it has to corrupt.

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M
    Simon, money is a means of exchange. I see nothing evil about that. The desire to acquire additional means of exchange is not evil. Or am I missing something. For example, I want an Apple iPhone instead of a no-name smart phone. I hope that does not make me a bad person.
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot

NewYork44M:

"In my transition away from the Watchtower I was very interested in Rand. Mostly because it was the exact opposite of what I was taught as a JW."

I too went through a Libertarian phase in my early 20s right after getting kicked out of the JWs. I quickly outgrew it since it had no vision, just a dog eat dog world of social Darwinism. Now I have nothing but disgust for that hypocrite who took social security money while condemning its concept.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit