Russell started the " Cult Mind Control" in JW's Years Ago- Check this Out

by flipper 11 Replies latest jw friends

• flipper
    flipper

I guess after leaving the witnesses 5 years ago - I had always thought the " control" issues had started years down the road in Rutherford's time and that initially the motives were good when Russell started this organization. Boy was I wrong. I've been reading the book " Kingdom of the Cults " by Walter Martin- revised edition and thought I'd share some eye opening quotes from C.T. Russell from 1910.

Check this quote from Russell in this book taken from the September 15 , 1910 Watchtower , page 298 where he emphasizes his publication " Studies in the Scriptures" - " If the six volumes of Studies in the Scriptures are practically the Bible, topically arranged with Bible proof texts given, we might not improperly name the volumes THE BIBLE IN AN ARRANGED FORM. That is to say, they are not mere comments on the Bible , BUT THEY ARE PRACTICALLY THE BIBLE ITSELF. "

He continues, " Furthermore , not only do we find that PEOPLE CANNOT SEE THE DIVINE PLAN IN STUDYING THE BIBLE BY ITSELF , but we see, also that if anyone lays the Studies in the Scripture books aside, if he then lays them aside and ignores them and goes to the Bible alone...., our experience shows that within two years HE GOES INTO DARKNESS. On the other hand, if he had merely read the Studies in the Scriptures with their references, and had NOT READ A PAGE OF THE BIBLE, as such, he would be in the light at the end of two years, because he would have the light of the Scriptures. "

Pretty creepy quotes, you think ? How arrogant of this man to assume the ONLY WAY people could understand the Bible was through HIS publications ! Sound familiar ? Over 100 years later from the late 1800's Jehovah's Witnesses and the WT society are still using " mind control" to influence people to believe that ONLY the WT society can help them interpret the Bible in the correct way. So the controlling aspect of this cult was set in motion from very early on. Just wanted to share this. I welcome any and all comments . Thanks, Peace out, Mr. Flipper

• Homerovah the Almighty
    Homerovah the Almighty

Good point Flipper, the roots of this organization were set in place by Russell's

personally devised commercial aspirations, he purposely made himself the supposed guiding light for mankind

that brought the true understanding of the scriptures, this of course continues today with the WTS.

It appears though even then there were a majority of people that thought he was nothing but

a religious charlatan with a cross on top his head and his hand sticking out .

Well thats what religious freedom is all about isn't it , a proven example.

• yknot
    yknot

Ahhh vanity

Also a great method to keep readers interested in buying the next volume in the series.

• BabaYaga
    BabaYaga

Wow! Yes I agree, Mr. Flipper, pretty creepy indeed.

I too pretty much blamed all the cult aspects on Rutherford... believing that Russell was a misguided soul whose heart was in the right place. Perhaps that is still partially true, but apparently he was to blame for much of the complete mind-control cult aspects, himself!

Thank you for this.

• truthsetsonefree
    truthsetsonefree

Funny that one could not understand the Bible by reading the Bible! You should always be able to read the raw data and get some insight.

Isaac

• happy2bfree
    happy2bfree

Mind control continues:

Watchtower, 1973 July 1st p.402

"Jehovah’s organization alone, in all the earth, is directed by God’s holy spirit or force (Zech,4:6) Only this organization functions for Jehovah’s purpose and to his praise. To it alone God’s Sacred Word, the Bible, is not a sealed book."

• flipper
    flipper

HOMEROVAH- I agree- Russell definitely had commercial aspirations and if you read more details about what really went on with him - he was taken to court and sued for libel - also he tried selling what was known as " miracle wheat " to his followers saying it had special growing capabilities unlike other wheat. What a crock .

YKNOT- Yes I believe Russell was vain - wanting to sell his " Studies in the Scriptures " books just to push his own views.

BABAYAGA- You are welcome. It was quite an eye opener for me as well in reading this " Kingdom of the Cults " book. It just shows that " cult mind control" started very early on in the witness organization ; and continues down till this day.

TRUTHSETSONEFREE- Yeah, it is ridiculous that a person couldn't just understand the Bible from reading it on their own ! In Russell and the witnesses view there is no way it can't be understood without the WT societies help ! Really weird.

HAPPY2BFREE- Yes it's strange the witnesses think they are directed by holy spirit. If they are truly directed by holy spirit - then I'm Osama Bin Laden reincarnated. Christ

• kurtbethel
    kurtbethel

This verse shows that, though Pastor Russell has passed beyond the veil, he is still managing every feature of the Harvest work. "The WATCH TOWER BIBLE AND TRACT SOCIETY is the greatest corporation in the world, because from the time of its organization until now the Lord has used it as His channel through which to make known the Glad Tidings" (The Finished Mystery p.144 on Rev. 8:3).

Yeah, Baby!

• still_in74
    still_in74

This verse shows that, though Pastor Russell has passed beyond the veil, he is still managing every feature of the Harvest work. "The WATCH TOWER BIBLE AND TRACT SOCIETY is the greatest corporation in the world, because from the time of its organization until now the Lord has used it as His channel through which to make known the Glad Tidings" (The Finished Mystery p.144 on Rev. 8:3).

and they still teach that to this very day!!!!!!!!
  • flipper
    flipper

KURT BETHEL- Yeah, it's crazy how the JW's still think God is using the WT society as His chosen servant. Unbelievable.

STILL in 74- Very true- the WT society has always thought they are God's chosen servant- from Russell until now. Really weird

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit