What are your personal guidelines and attitude concerning smoking ?

by caliber 23 Replies latest jw friends

• avishai
    avishai

I hate it, am trying to quit. I never smoke indoors (blecchhh) and am really happy that as of this jan. 1st., in OR you can't smoke anywhere indoors

• megaflower
    megaflower

My feelings toward smoking has nothing to do with the JW's. It is a disgusting habit. I grew up with both parents being heavy smokers and vowed when I grew up my home would be clean from the foul stench cig's and cigars produce. My mom would always have some sort of upper respiratoy infection. In fact, one time she had pneumonia and still not stop smoking.

My home is smoke free and I will not allow anyone to smoke in my car, house or even in my yard. When you smoke the stench is on your hands, clothes and in your hair. I will not associate with smokers on a personal level. Iam very allergic to smoke and prone to respiratory infections. If they come to my house they need to respect my health concerns.

• jamiebowers
    jamiebowers

I have a sense of wonder. I wonder why, when there is so much evidence of smoking being bad for you, that people continue to want to smoke. I feel compassion for people trying to quit and having a hard time, but I know some people who like it and refuse to quit. I have to wonder about that, though I never berate them about it. It's their choice, not mine.

Kind of sounds like being a jw, doesn't it? LOL!

That being said, I am a smoker and was before I became a jw. I stayed faithful the whole time, but there wasn't a day that went by where I didn't crave cigarettes. As a smoker, I do not smoke in a nonsmoker's house or car if offered. It makes me too uncomfortable. But my husband and I expect the same consideration in our house/cars unless there are children or others who have health concerns. If I know a nonsmoker with health concerns is coming to our house or riding in our cars, I try to air it out, and my husband is only allowed to smoke upstairs with a window open, and I smoke outside. But there are some, probably like Megaflower, who couldn't tolerate it at our house.

I have tried several times to quit using cold turkey, patch and pill methods, but it never works. I go for about 4 hours and am ready to rip my hair out.

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

I like to smoke a cigar or a pipe from time to time.

BTS

• wobble
    wobble

I think I smoke after sex,but I've never had a good look !!!

Love

Wobble

• no more kool aid
    no more kool aid

I have never had even one cigarette, that being said I don't care if other people do. I can't figure out why they would do something so damaging to themselves, but who am I to judge. I've been known to have too much cheesecake and one too many gin and tonics, we all have our stuff. I don't like it in my house because it is stinky. I have taken care of many people with mental illness and most really love their cigarettes, I absolutely believe it has an effect on their brain chemistry.

• aligot ripounsous
    aligot ripounsous

Why is it that in Paris streets, most smokers you come across are women ?

• Gregor
    Gregor

Never smoked but I understand that many people really enjoy it and get something out of it. I am pleased that laws and customs restrict it in restaurants, work places, etc. But I respect peoples right to do it. At the supermarket I see overweight, unhealthy looking people buying what I consider garbage but I don't think it is any of my business and I try not to judge people as human beings by their personal choices that have no impact on me.

I think that nationalized health care is a slippery slope that will lead to imposing restrictions on personal choices

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

I guess some of thought process was JW driven but the thought of inhaling smoke, whether "acceptable" or not, sort of repulsed me. I always thought that lighting a fire and inhaling the smoke was like sweeping the floor and then eating it. Just not "natural" I guess. Whether a JW or not, I could never think of putting a cigarette in my mouth (ok, ok, maybe a good cigar for a festive occasion, but never a cigarette).

Yes, some of us young teen JW's would sneak a smoke now and then, just to show we had reached puberty I guess.

That is one of the things I do thank the JW org for being strongly against since it is one of the things that most "born in" JWs don't have to worry about later in life. They say once you pass 20 years old or so, the chances of starting to smoke cigarettes decreased dramatically.

Rub a Dub

• sammielee24
    sammielee24

Secondhand smoke, also known as environmental tobacco smoke, is a mixture of the smoke given off by the burning end of tobacco products (side-stream smoke) and the mainstream smoke exhaled by smokers. It is a complex mixture containing many chemicals (including formaldehyde, cyanide, carbon monoxide, ammonia, and nicotine), many of which are known carcinogens. Nonsmokers exposed to secondhand smoke at home or work increase their risk of developing heart disease by 25 to 30 percent and lung cancer by 20 to 30 percent. In addition, secondhand smoke causes respiratory

I appreciate all your data but in the bigger picture, with all the rules and education in place, I see second hand smoke as doing the same damage as fluoride, mercury vapor infiltrating your water supply from planes, exhaust fumes, formaldehyde and radon still existent in some homes, carpet that emits all sorts of toxins and yet is put in almost every new home, HFC which is known to add to the obesity problem, prescribed drugs that now outrank all other forms of drugs as the biggest abuse in the country - especially adult psychotic drugs prescribed to kids, mercury fillings, GM foods and pesticides being sprayed on crops by guys wearing hazmat suits and then being told the crop has no toxins.

If I walk by someone sitting outside who is smoking a cigarette, I could care less. The 5 seconds it takes to walk by them isn't about to do any more damage to me than breathing in the air from a hundred natural fires burning in my area that I can't escape. The stats in those surveys will tell you that the damage being done during a month long exposure causes asthama, can lead to heart attacks etc.

I don't like to eat in a restaurant where there is smoking, nor do I have smoking in my car. I think the less kids are exposed to it the better. I would like to see more attention given to the crap that is put in all your food that's causing more disease and illness and given equal time to the non smoking issue. I think the idea of the smoking police being able to arrest you because you have a puff on your porch is ridiculous. I think the idea of not being able to smoke in your own house or car is ridiculous. Some area's are outlawing BBQ's now because people are complaining about the smoke and smell of the BBQ. Eating too much BBQ leads to cancer of the esophageous apparently so that will be banned I guess.

sammieswife.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit