Snapped. It just occurred to me that I REALLY hate my life. Mostly all of it.

by easyreader1970 52 Replies latest jw friends

• Mrs. Fiorini
    Mrs. Fiorini

I've mentioned this in previous posts but am bringing it up again since it may help.

Steven Hassan's book, "Releasing The Bonds: Empowering People to Think for Themselves" is excellent. It gives family members tips and techniques on how to help cult members leave. It includes several success stories of JWs.

His approach is based on building trust and rapport with your loved one. He advises not to be confrontational and criticize the WT, but to point out how other cults work and let the JW make the obvious connections.

It's well worth a look.

• Hiddenwindow
    Hiddenwindow

I am going through an extraordinarily similar situation. I care too much about my children to take the risk of separating from them. I suffer in silence. I am convinced that this is a cult, but the worst part is that I have to contemplate the indoctrination of my children. If I oppose it and separate from my wife, such indoctrination will continue without me. I feel your pain...

• dozy
    dozy

Really , really sorry for you.

I suppose the only hope if you want to keep your marriage together is to draw some comfort from what some of the other posters have said. It is true that some of the most gung-ho Jws can suddenly evaporate when confronted with cast iron evidence.

The turn around can be incredibly rapid , maybe because some of the qualities which makes an individual very enthusiastic about “the truth” can also make them very bitter and anti-JW.

Best wishes…

• done4good
    done4good

"I can totally relate to how you feel. You say total and complete disaster would follow if you revealed your true feelings. But isn't that where you're at anyway? Having your own opinion is not being selfish. It's your God given right. There comes a time when you have to throw the cat amongst the pigeons. Things may seem bad at first but they'll get better. Life is short and you've already spent too much of it under the mind control of a misguided cult. The definition of insanity is to keep doing the same things while expecting different results."

Our friend from the Mighty Led Zeppelin said it best. There is not much I could add. Maybe this, remember you hold the key to your happiness. That is not being selfish, that's being honest.

j

• poppers
    poppers

Here's a thought, though it may not be helpful - Her saying that you weren't prepared enough for family study night has revealed a crack in the foundation of the "sacred" WTS and its grip on its followers is faltering, and that is triggering a fear which is being projected onto you. She must surely suspect that other families are facing similar situations where the study night is less than it "should" be, or even abandoned altogether. What does that tell her? - something she may not be willing to admit to herself, that the WTS is crumbling, perhaps ever so slowly but more and more visibly.

If she could only see you as you are without the filter of the society's conception of how you should be you'd stand a chance. But I understand how the whole structure of JWism is predicated on this false belief in how people should be. What can you do about it? I don't know, but I do sympathize with your situation.

• oompa
    oompa

I just spent an hour reading and re-reading this thread....as many know i truly relate to you easyrider....there are many great points made on this thread, but i really like what Besty had to say here:

It was a decision point. My preferred outcome was get her out with me, or if not get out and stay out myself but stay together as a couple, and if that wasn't possible then accept that sometimes life moves on and this is not a dress rehearsal.
    So I dropped in the 'Jesus is not our Mediator' question when she was a bit emotional about a difficult CA day to ensure maximum chance of success - that worked for me and she was mentally free within 48 hrs. Result. Thank you jwfacts.com. Let me caveat that by saying she knew I thought it was all BS for many years before - just I hadn't been free to share my apostaknowledge with her until that point. However I had done the dutiful meeting attendance under sufferance although was completely not doing any FS, answering up, volunteering etc
    Doctrinal arguments won't cut it for most diehard JWs - too many deeply implanted thoughtstoppers - 'wait on jehovah, don't run ahead, new light, have you been looking on the Internet?'
    You might try dropping the bomb and saying you suspect the entire religion might not be what it claims - asking her to bear with you whilst you do some research - choose an emotive topic to hang this conversation on - nobody likes dead babies (blood) or molested children

This is my point by points about the above quotes....for i am now able to look back at my painful exit of JW with my diehard perfect jw wife still in....there are MANY things I would have done differently......so i hope this helps some....and i will send easyrider my phone number and e-mail (cause MAN do we need to talk!)

1. Decision point.....yes you must make one and soon...you are in purgatory right now and it will take a health toll and not just on you....my wake up though was so quick and painful...it did lead me to horrible drinking (checking out i called it)....many shrinks and tons of meds for a year (my wife convinced....and even a suicide attempt with many many pills and a bottle of Jack...so make a plan and stop this ride you are on

2. Get her out with me.....not this part is scary for me....my wife is a wonderful woman too...but part of me so wants to be TOATALLY free to grow and live, and i cant in this marriage, so i am trying to find a balance of partial freedom/happiness....when both are jw, there is a HUGE commonality...friends and time and hopes esp. With that gone now we have so little in common....but i fear that if i do free my wife....we will STILL have little in common....so it kind of scares me to want to wake her up anymore cause if that happened and i had to move on anyway...now i have taken her entire social structure away from her???....now that would seem cruel to me...she is 51 btw

3. Timing and topic (mediator)...and i like how Besty timed it well...but that may not be an option for you. I am not in favor of just doing the slow fade. But I also disagree with this point of just bringing up the topic that may be your dealbreaker and hopefully yours....here is why...my dealbreaker became our fake bible...and it took me a year of intense research, elder meetings...co meeting....letters to society...before they confirmed my worst fear...that our bible....the New Testament part of it was a FRAUD. Even though i SHARED all i was learning with my wii should have done it the way i "quote" below. you may be treated much better by your wife during your exit, and it may make it much harder on her to enjoy the meetings.... if you make part of this HER FAULT....make her go with GUILT (by letting her know she makes you feel you will never measure up)...like this:

"Honey, I know how disappointed in me you are with my lack of zeal and spirituality...you deserved better...and i am afraid I may never meet your standards. I really wish i could do more, but to be honest with you....i have some nagging doubts that are effecting my faith, and i really don't feel comfortable talking with the elders about it. (she may as what they are...and can she help..that would be great). Yes dear, I have really been troubled by (insert issue here...one she may a tiny thought about)....I am so down right now i don't think i can dig into it on my own...but it would great if you could help me because i so want strengthen my faith and draw closer to Jehovah. I think we should pray about it right now and ask Jehovah for help." THE END (plus...after the prayer she will jump your buns and you will get some super sweet poontang)

OK...that is what i WISH i had done!!!......Don't ever TELL them what you know or have found!!!!.....Find out together...it may be your only chance. I would really like to know what you think the topic will be...so many here had different issues....the UN, blood, Jesus as mediator, 1914, GENERATION! (oh i should have walked in 1995 dammit...and this one is an easy target)...molestation, fake bible adding name jehovah 237 times rather that RESTORING it as they claim........good luck and call me or pm me or e-mail me.........................oompa

• oompa
    oompa

i just read your profile and need to add that you may be overly worried about your wife leaving you and taking your kids....that may not happen or you may get the kids or at least equally....my wife has never once urged me to come back or even attend the memorial...she wants to win me over without a word....

also...if you just "lose or have weak faith".......you become a "lost sheep"..(just dont become a raging open apostate like i did)..how the fluck could she leave a lost sheep when the latest wt studies said they are to be sought out and treated kindly?

• zagor
  • LouBelle
    LouBelle

Not a good place to be easyreader.

Accepting your place in life for what it really is, is a difficult thing to do. Your place right now is to be stuck in that faith (unless you want to get out, but it seems you can't for family reasons) So you've got to suck it up - if you have to do family study night then take a different angle to it - prepare stuff that is fun for the kids - get them to start thinking out of the box but not in a very obvious way. Get your wife to prepare something using the bible - make it REAL STUDY TIME and not just the usual drival.

perhaps that will help. this could be an opportunity just waiting for you.....I wish you well.

*you could even get suggestions for study material here*

• Awakened at Gilead
    Awakened at Gilead

How do you know that you will lose your wife? You might shock her into realizing that there is something wrong with her belief system. At any rate, as the father, you are the spiritual head of the family, per JWs, and you have a right to decide how to raise your kids. You also need to decide how you will live your life.

I am sorry for what you are going through, but unless you change something it will not get better.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit