Cracks in the Veneer

by mrsjones5 20 Replies latest jw friends

• snowbird
    snowbird

I can tell you that MANY black JWS NEVER thought they would see a black president in the US of A. That alone should have made many do a double take at this religion

It has made many do a double take. My staunch JW sister tries not to show too much interest, but I can tell she's thinking deeply about WT's stance on political involvement.

Sylvia

• Robert7
    Robert7

I think there are cracks all over the place, and the 'duct tape' holding it all together is "where else will you go". From what I can see, everyone has doubts at some level, but just supresses them thru WTS-trained tactics.

• sir82
    sir82

It will be interesting to see how the WTS weathers the current economic crisis.

Other earth-shattering events (wars, terrorist attacks, natural disasters) seem to drive people to them, at least temporarily. These things are often apparently interpreted as "Is this a sign that Armageddon is nigh? I'd better get back to the Kingdom Hall!" by people who are still well-programmed by their WTS background. The irregulars come back in full force, and the "Kingdom" message works on people scared by sudden, dramatic changes.

But this economic crisis is different. It's unfolding slowly and deeply, and is not part of "the sign" as found at Matthew 24, Mark 13, & Luke 21. People who have been staying away from the KH are not likely to go back - how is a meeting going to help put food on your table? And, the "weaker" ones will be more inclined to stay away as well - it costs money to drive to the KH, go out in service, buy clothes for meetings, etc.

• steve2
    steve2

What is coming through is promising: Jws themselves are (discreetly) verbalising their awareness that they never expected to grow old in this system. That's way more powerfully motivating for them to take the next steps thatn it is for them to be "told" about the organization. I like the way you just listened to her. Sometimes drawing people out, helping them express themselves is more effective than providing information - which often causes them to switch off, anyway.

• Alpaca
    Alpaca

While it is interesting and encouraging that some are beginning to have the courage to say what is in their hearts, I guaranttee that there is not a single Dub who doesn't think about it.

How could you possibly pin your hopes and dreams, and plan your life around a promise that is proving to be a lie, without dwelling on it???

The BORG is famous for quoting the Psalm that says, "Expectation postponed makes the heart grow sick." Well, guess what? They are reaping a healthy harvest of that right now.

In past discussions on this board some have talked about some development within the BORG that could prove to be a catalyst that would create a mass exodus. This could very well be it. If enough Dubs begin to say this stuff out loud in the company of other Dubs an unstoppable wave of dissension may begin to sweep through the BORG. Of course, the Gestapo will start in on the apostate stuff, but it may end up being too little, too late and drowned out by the voices of the victims.

• daniel-p
    daniel-p

The elder dubs love this stuff--perfect segway into the "don't come down from the hills into Jerusalem" bit.

• Alpaca
    Alpaca

I wanted to add that even when I left in 1997, I heard those types of comments from "strong" Dubs -- one had been a missionary in South America for a very long time and was the PO in my congregation. It was a rare moment of candor that completely caught me off guard. My ex mother-in-law was another one who made similar comments from time to time. She and my father-in-law had been hard core and in from the 40s. And there were comments from others.

I can't even imagine how much more betrayed the old timers are feeling now, even if they won't admit it.

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

a friend of mine who has endured an absolute crappy marraige recently lamented how "Jehovah has not helped her". I think she was hoping the new system would be here and make her husband normal. She really has been run through the ringer. She's 47 and looks 67. It's so sad. I once thought of dating her way back in the day and I didn't. (would have avoided alot of grief for both of us). I can tell she's just beat up by life and just hanging by a thread and gets very little help from even her family

• dozy
    dozy

I think that there has always been element of JW “moaning” about the length of time the system has gone on or problems in the cong but as some posters have pointed out , they don’t go beyond that. The hurdle involved in leaving is too high - it isn’t even a consideration.

Where I am , Jws are increasingly polarised - a “hard core” element are pioneering and more gung-ho than ever before.

The vast majority are just going through the motions without any depth & it is really just an extension of their social life. The average JW has a rather menial , purposeless job that doesn‘t encourage him to have any aspirations or think about much , all his friends and most of his family are Jws and the “world” is a frightening place.

JW activity involves limited sacrifice - a couple of meetings a week (which can be missed without comment due to “illness“ , work or weekends away ) and an hour of ministry at the weekend or during the week followed by coffee and cakes at the local cafe. Study is very limited - in my cong , I would guess about 70% of the Watchtowers are not underlined. It is a comfortable enough lifestyle without any need to unravel it or “rock the boat”.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

I'm glad to see how many of us have experienced this. When my family moves back to California I do expect to be around jw family members more than I am now (way more). I have no desire to be arguementative, I think not being a baptised jw will give me some insulation (it has before). But the difference would be my family knowing that I am raising my kids "worldly" and we celebrate as many holidays as we can. As long as they leave my kids alone there will be no problems.

Crossing my fingers

Josie

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit