Do you collect vinyl records?

by JimmyPage 13 Replies latest jw friends

• Dagney
    Dagney

Awesome collection jaguarbass!

I still have all my albums, probably 200 or so. I moved a few years ago and wasn't sure if I was going to stay where I'm at so the player and albums are in the garage. But I just got a new TV hooked up and am working on the rest of the audio and look forward to being able to play the vinyl again. They are like old friends.

I also am looking for frames to hang some on the wall.

• done4good
    done4good

"Do they still make record players worthy of using? Is it simply a novelty? "

jws-

With the right equipment, (and if you have the patience for vinyl care), it is still a better sounding format. By "right", I specifically mean a $500 or better direct drive table with a good cartridge (better than $100),and phono "preamp", (this can get expensive for a good one these days). You could spend a hell of a lot more than that, but it the laws of diminishing returns tends to kick in around $2000. See the link below.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/TECH/01/16/ces.luxury.turntable/index.html

Some of the more "valuable" LPs in my collection:

Introducing the Beatles

The White Album, (with orginal poster).

ELO Live at Long Beach, (an early live recording of the band).

Sgt Pepper Lonely Hearts Club Band (with run on groove after "A Day In the Life"

A really good ANALOG remaster of Queen's A Day At The Races.

Stereo copy of Surrealistic Pillow by the Airplane.

About 1000 other less valuable, but awsome records!

j

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

I still have about 100 of them. All too many (including irreplaceable 12" single versions) had to be thrown away because of the Washtowel Slaveholdery and the humanoid running the mini-cult that I was placed in when he studied the washtowel with me. Some I refused to throw away but only put aside.

Others, I have found longer versions on CD than existed on LPs. I prefer the stability of the CD (and the mini disc) rather than the records that skip, are fussy with impact and room noise, and prone to speaker feedback. However, there are some records that the CD release was actually several seconds shorter on the exact same song (same title, too); with those, I kept the records (and I haven't been able to find the whole full-length version anywhere, not even on LimeWire).

• Caedes
    Caedes

Done4Good

With the right equipment, (and if you have the patience for vinyl care), it is still a better sounding format. By "right", I specifically mean a $500 or better direct drive table with a good cartridge (better than $100),and phono "preamp", (this can get expensive for a good one these days). You could spend a hell of a lot more than that, but it the laws of diminishing returns tends to kick in around $2000. See the link below.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/TECH/01/16/ces.luxury.turntable/index.html

If you are talking about spending that much then surely you mean belt drive? I think that most higher end turntables are belt driven in an effort to isolate the motor. I only see direct drive on cheap or fashion driven hi-fi (such as B&O).

Vinyl does sound better in the blind tests I have done.

I collect vinyl, the most valuable stuff I have is an original 7" single of teenage kicks by the undertones and a more or less complete collection of Buzzcocks singles. I have some rare indie stuff as well as a load of classic stuff.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit