Do you collect vinyl records?

by JimmyPage 13 Replies latest jw friends

• JimmyPage
    JimmyPage

What treasures are in your collection? What album artwork do you like, inside and out, on the sleeves, and in the booklets?

• flipper
    flipper

JIMMY- Oh yeah. Been collecting vinyl since the early 1970's - and I probably have about 200 to 300 in my collection. My wife and I keep them in a cabinet in alphabetical order so we can pull them out to listen occasionally. Many are in mint condition. I have everything from the Atlanta Rhythym Section to ZZ top ! Led Zep, Beatles , you name it ! It's good to occasionally pull one out I don't have on CD . That's why I keep them. It would cost way too much to ever replace them all ! I have on CD mainly my favorites - but many groups I still have on album only - or cassette

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

Yes.

I have some Johnny Cash, Isley Brothers, Donna Summer, Flatt & Scruggs, K.C. & The Sunshine Band, Percy Sledge, George Harrison, Eric Clapton, War and I also have the Herb Alpert "Whipped Cream" album and more.

-LWT

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

I only have 50 - 60 left. I threw out most of my "demonized" albums when I joined the cult. That was some of the best stuff too.

W

• WuzLovesDubs
    WuzLovesDubs

I gave all of mine to a JW to sell in her garage sale because she needed rent money...or so she said. She never sold them she KEPT THEM. And I was pisssssssed royal.

I suggested she return them to me since she did not use them for the intended purpose and she laughed. Jerk.

• undercover
    undercover

I still have most of my vinyl, though some of the covers were damaged in a flood.

I used to love to sit and read the liner notes or contemplate the cover artwork while listening to the album on the turntable. I was one of the holdouts when CDs came about. Vinyl sounded better and I figured people would figure it out and CDs would become the less favorite way of listening to music.

I was wrong...but I am glad to see vinyl making a comeback. I dragged out my old turntable a while back and hooked it back up and sat down one Saturday and played a bunch of vinyls for old time sakes. It was great to hear those pops and scratches in King Crimson and Yes - Roundabout. They're like old friends.

• done4good
    done4good

Big Time!

Everything on my best albums list thread that Flip started, and about 1000 others.

I ONLY play Vinyl at home.

j

• thebiggestlie
    thebiggestlie

Oh yes i love my records with a fiery passion.

got a couple of "white label" releases i'm proud of.

My favorite in my collection is a first run edition of "just another diamond day" by folk goddess Vashti Bunyun.

tbl

• jws
    jws

All of the Zeppelin records, including the one only available on a single and the Honeydrippers and the Firm too.

I have a bunch of Michael Jackson picture disk 45 rpm singles. I think mostly off the Thriller album. Most or maybe all of the Prince stuff before he became symbol man. A bunch of Rolling Stones albums.

I have a record by the Skunks. They recorded the song Elvira back in the 60's before the Oak Ridge Boys made the song famous in the 70's. Randy Klein (their guitarist) was in my congregation and kind of formed a band with my brother-in-law. I think he was just studying. He attended for a few years, then faded away.

Some old and well worn George Carlin records.

My stack is maybe only a foot wide. Haven't played them in over 20 years, but couldn't bring myself to get rid of them. CD art just isn't the same. Not only in size, but packaging. Take the zipper on the Stones Sticky Fingers album. Or the way their Some Girls album looks like they have wigs on from the outside, but pull it out and see the Stones in their normal context. Sure, they came out with novelty CD equivalents, but it still isn't the same.

But to answer the question, no. I do not collect vinyl. I bought these when they were the way to play music. I just haven't gotten rid of them. I do not actively seek more of them.

I just saw the new Guns and Roses album come out in vinyl. Help me understand that. Do they still make record players worthy of using? Is it simply a novelty? Back when GNR's first albums were released I didn't even buy them on vinyl. I'm not even sure you could.

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

I have a couple of hundred left from the 70's. I havent bought an album since the 80's

I have some Frank Zappa, the mothers. Golden earring, Blue oyster Cult. The cars, Animotion,

The Animals the Who, Joe Walsh, Beatles, Stones, Todd Rundgren, Danny Spanos, Traffic, David Bowie,

Dave Mason, Hendrix, Little Feat, Mott the Hoople, Hall and Oats, Spirit, Randy callifornia, Lou Reed,

Tull, The Blues project, The Doors, The Kinks, Stealers Wheel, Jerry Raferty, Dave Brubeck, Jeff Beck,

The Hello People, Donna Summer,

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit