God ordered abortions?

by Julie 35 Replies latest jw friends

• gumby
    gumby

Would it be out of line to think that God is cruel for killing whom he chooses? With the reasoning presented you could also ask why we all suffer for something that someone else did....Adam.
    For God to take a life/lifes for reasons he knows much deeper than our reasoning shouldn't make us doubt God.
    There are MANY things we do not understand.Sometimes if it dosen't make sense to US we feel it makes no sense period.
    Have you ever looked deep into the subject of God's justice?
    Give it a deep going over before you decide if he is just or not, and see if when he took a life/lives did not coincide with his justice.
    Come on seeker....I know your DYING to jump on this one.
    I think this thread is a good honest question but also believe in "digging" for answers before coming to conclusions

• SixofNine
    SixofNine
    There are MANY things we do not understand.Sometimes if it dosen't make sense to US we feel it makes no sense period.

So we should instead take explanations that don't make any sense from a book written by unknown authors some two to three thousand years ago? Explanations that not only don't make sense, but which sound like old fashioned racism and nationalism, along with a touch of old world savagery thrown in for good measure?

Yeah, that would be intelligent.

• mikelites
    mikelites

Well i guess this makes the "Great Jehovah" the inventor (& most efficient "Ethnic Cleanser" in History!!) sO WHEN DOES HE GET PUT IN THE DOCK ALONG WITH Hitler , Milosovitch, Osama etc....

• musicnonstop
    musicnonstop

As far as I can make out, it's just another example of the same twisted, contradictory "logic" that allows the WT to cite scripture in railing against all abortion [and even the use of certain contraception], while being prepared, in principle, to sanction the death of an unborn child and its mother for want of a blood transfusion. And I know - I WAS that baby... Happily, though (to lift a line from 'Holy Grail'), "I got better" - but that was IN SPITE of my mother's (whom I love dearly) misguided beliefs, not BECAUSE OF....

"Whatever happened to all of the heroes, all those Shakespearoes? They watched their Rome burn..." - The Stranglers

• Billygoat
    Billygoat

Interesting thread Julie! This is a topic that I'm actually a bit confused about. I'm not sure where I stand. Or maybe I'm working too hard to fit myself into a box.

Ugh. I hate talking about this, but would like some imput as to where I might belong. When I was 19 I lost a child. I got pregnant, which wasn't the reason for my DFing, but a consequence of the sin that got me DFed. When I was at 14 weeks I lost the child, the beginning of my second trimester. I could not ever abort my child. I would struggle with it as a single mom or give it up for adoption, but the thought of aborting that child to convenience my life was out of the question. I couldn't do it. My thoughts haven't changed. I could never see myself having an abortion...it would bother my conscience way too much. But then again I don't believe that my decision is right for everyone else. I don't believe that I have the right to force my conscience on other people. If we begin with abortion where would it end?

So am I Pro-Life or Pro-Choice?

Andi

• mommy
    mommy

Andi,
    I am with you here. I could not imagine having an abortion myself. I know that it would weigh heavily on my heart for the rest of my life. I also don't think it is fair to push our opinions on others. If I had to put myself in a box, I would say I am pro choice. Because I feel that it is a personal decision that only the woman carrying the child has to deal with.

When you start pushing your opinions on others, and condeming them for choices they make, that takes the "love" right out of the equation.
    wendy

When I leave, you will know I have been here

• TR
    TR

I love you, Andi.

I would struggle with it as a single mom or give it up for adoption, but the thought of aborting that child to convenience my life was out of the question. I couldn't do it. My thoughts haven't changed. I could never see myself having an abortion...it would bother my conscience way too much.
    TR

I'm gonna make mince meat outta that Osama!

• rhett
    rhett

I agree, the god of the bible is a sadistic bastard if you ask me. This is the reason I use my own reasoning to make sure people aren't put down because the bible seems to make it ok.

I don't need to fight
    To prove I'm right
    I don't need to be forgiven.

• Skeptic
    Skeptic

Billgoat,

So am I Pro-Life or Pro-Choice?

If I take your words at face-value, I would say you are Pro-Choice. You personally would not have an abortion, but would respect another woman's right to have an abortion. That shows reasonableness and balance.

Many Pro-Choice women would not have an abortion. But they want women to have a choice. Most would not choose an abortion as a first choice.

I am sorry for your loss of your child. It must hurt terribly.

Richard

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

Andi, it sound like you're both. So am I. My thoughts on this have not done a 180 degree turn since leaving the Witnesses, but they probably have done something in the neighborhood of a 170 degree turn. But slowly.

I can now look at the issue from a much more practical, pragmatic, scientific, and yes, even moral perspective now.

For instance, I find abortion of somthing that is well along in it's developement VERY distasteful. At the same time, simply making sure that a pairing of egg and sperm that have managed to hook up does not get a solid foothold, and therefore the woman never even knows one way or the other if she had been successfully inseminated, doesn't bother me in the least. In fact, nature operates that way as often as not.

And then there is the grey area between the two extremes. Even if I find the abortion distastful, am I willing to step in and adopt unwanted children? If not, perhaps I ought to shut the f*** up about it.

Somewhere along the path from my views as a Witness to my views now, I came to think that men should have just as much say as women in this issue, as we men are half the equation. But the truth is that we aren't half the equation, not really. And even if you think we are, while it might be nice if society, men, women all worked so perfectly hand in glove, the simple fact is that society doesn't really work that way. Women bear the brunt of childbirth, and unfortunately, child raising. Simple pragmatism leads me to believe that the choice has to be left totally and unequivocally in each individual womans hands.

"it's a child, not a choice" still resonates with me. Straightforward and common sensicle. But it simply isn't a straightforward issue, and common sense often fails.

Sorry for getting into abortion Julie, it's Andi's fault.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit